starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench press for Ataxia.

Default Bench press for Ataxia.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My wife is struggling to control the bar during bench press. One arm is losing quite a bit of control. I moved her onto dumbbell bench press to see how bad things were and even with light weight she is very wobbly, particularly during the eccentric. However, she seems much better on the barbell press, though she has to lift a bit lighter it looks pretty solid. I can’t see getting any progression on the bench due to this lack of control, so do I just have her do the best she can, or is there an option ?

Is a weight in each hand more or less stable as a system if the weights are connected by a rigid bar, or are the two weights more stable if they must be independently stabilized by each hand/arm/shoulder? If you want her to hit herself in the face with a dumbbell, keep her on those. Maybe you really don't like this woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is a weight in each hand more or less stable as a system if the weights are connected by a rigid bar, or are the two weights more stable if they must be independently stabilized by each hand/arm/shoulder? If you want her to hit herself in the face with a dumbbell, keep her on those. Maybe you really don't like this woman.
    Clearly more stable with the barbell as I’ve already said in the post, but then I was thinking that perhaps the effort to stabilise the lighter dumbbell might be the better way forward ? She has trouble with steps, so I have her stepping on and off one of those gym steps. For the first few times I had to hold on to her in order for her even to climb onto the step, but now she’s doing it pretty easily.

If I try loading the barbell then she is equally likely to hit herself in the face. So, it goes back to a choice between an empty bar (more weight for strength) or lighter dumbbells (more challenging for co-ordination). I don’t have an Ataxia rehab manual, but most of the exercises I’ve watched seem to focus on the coordination aspect, so that’s why I thought that dumbbells could be a better option.

How heavy is her bar?

How heavy is her bar?
    20Kg There isn’t a lighter barbell in the gym which will fit on the racks, but they do have shorter fixed barbells in different weights which she uses without a rack for pressing.

If you're not equipped to train her properly, don't do it.

If you're not equipped to train her properly, don't do it.
    I can get a lighter 15Kg bar for the rack we have at home. Is that the best option ?

Get a 10kg.

Get a 10kg.
    Can you recommend one ? I don’t think I’ve seen those in Europe/U.K.

Default Ok found one

starting strength coach development program
    Ok got one from Rogue. Junior bar, who knew ? Well you did obviously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast