• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    57yrs 93kg (205lb) 180cm (5'11)

squat 5x 135 kg (297 lbs)
    bench 5x 95 kg (209 lbs)
    press 5x 57.5 kg (126 lbs)
    DL 5x 157.5 kg (347 lbs)

I think my NLP is reaching the 'brutal' stage. Those squats are challenging. I changed from training 3 days a week (squatting twice, deadlift once) to 1-on-2-off in order to help with recovery. I'm now thinking about programming in a light squat day.

Assuming this is a good idea, which would be the best slot for the light squat day in the Sq - Sq - DL sequence? Before the DL would mean 5 days before the heavy squat which seems a lot. But if the heavy squat is before the DL it might interfere with the DL, which I am very keen to progress.

Thanks.

Sorry, it has just occurred to me that if I'm introducing a light squat day, I can probably go back to a 3-days-a-week program. But the question remains of where to put the light day in the Sq - DL - Sq. I'm thinking before the DL, to keep the DL as fresh as possible. Does that make sense?

If you are using a light day, you put it between the two heavy squat days (Monday: Heavy, Wednesday: light 80% or so, Friday: Heavy) something like that. I am not a coach, but if you are worried about the squat interfering with your deadlift, you can just put it on the Wednesday as that is your light day.

Not an expert, but perhaps you could consider a mixed approach between your current 1-on-2-off program and changing to a 3-days-a-week schedule.

Since your deadlift is quite strong, perhaps you could try the following sequence: heavy-squat (S), light-squat & deadlift (D), and heavy-squat, with 1 day of rest before D days, but 2 rest days before S days. Here is what this would look like compared to the other options you are considering:

Capture.jpg

This would result is a milder increase in frequency amounting to 1 extra training session per month, instead of 2 to 3. My husband is about your age and size and I doubt he would respond well to such an increase, even though he is doing light squats on deadlift day.

But again, not an expert.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, tiny&mighty. I like the look of your modified 1-on-2-off program.