starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An exception to the no-partial-squats rule?

Default An exception to the no-partial-squats rule?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Subject to advice in response to this post, I’m planning so-called 1.5s on a light squat day with a half squat up after a full descent before descending again and then completing the rep. It a lower range of motion half squat embedded within a full ROM.

I’m 65 and need much more stability over the mid-foot during that lower half of the ROM and some bounce out of the hole. Pause squats are helpful, but based on a day’s experimenting, I think 1.5s will be better.

PPST says never, ever, ever, do partial squats, I know. The pitfalls with these include that the change of direction can very easily result in a bad back angle and bar path. But overcoming these pitfalls (especially with arthritic knees, poor dorseflexion, and poor proprioception at the low half of the ROM) seems like it may be more beneficial than continuing with light day pause squats.

My squat work sets are 225 lbs. x3x3. These 1.5s will start at 155 or 160 lbs. x5x3. My body weight is 225 lbs. at 6 1/2”.

A SSC would’ve solved my squat issues long ago, I suspect, but here I am. What am I missing by way of considerations whether these 1.5s may be an exception to the rule against partial squats? And are there other critical things I should attend to technique-wise?

Thank you.

What is "1.5s"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is "1.5s"?
    Yes. Is the movement pattern as described a potential accessory lift for the squat? It feels like it might be more effective than pause squats.

As far as I know, the movement pattern — a Ch. 2 blue book low-bar back squat halted about halfway up during the ascent, reversed, and then completed after normal proper depth is reached for the second time during the rep — has no name. I called it a 1.5 because I’ve seen pressing movements like this, a low-end half rep embedded within a whole ROM rep as “1.5s.” I’ve used them strict pressing when I had no way to pin press. I needed a name in order to make thinking about these partial squats easier and stole the name from those pressing movements.

Have you ever tried this movement pattern, or seen it tried, Rip? Am I missing something? If you haven’t tried it or seen it tried, do you think it could be effective? Thanks, again.

On what page of the blue book is this movement described?

We used to call those "bodybuilder squats", the only real advantage is more opportunities to get in and out of the hole, if for some reason one needed to focus on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    We used to call those "bodybuilder squats", the only real advantage is more opportunities to get in and out of the hole, if for some reason one needed to focus on that.
    But even then, it is like doing lighter weight for more reps so probably sub-optimal for strength.

If I were 65 and really having this much trouble at the bottom, but was strong enough to squat 225 x 3x3, I would start over with just the bar and do LP again going properly deep for 3x5 but while being making sure to be fastidious about: eating 200 plus grams of red meat per day, maybe more, along with a modest calorie surplus; sleeping 8 hours per day, even if naps are required; buying and wearing weightlifting shoes with a proper .75 inch heel; resting at least 5 minutes between sets; optimizing testosterone, even if that means a visit to a balls doctor and getting on the needle; continuing to deadlift heavy.

Only after doing this consistently for 3-6 months would I start considering partial squats.

Default They are not partials even if the rep range is partially duplicative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    That’s exactly what they might be for, Ryan. It’s what I need. Still nothing pops on Google.

Rip asked what they are to try to emphasize the point that they are far from being a partial squat, I expect. And he then asked where they are in the blue book to say that they are of such narrow potential usefulness that they do not qualify as an accessory lift. Whether they will serve me as a better light day substitute for pause squats or pin squats is for me to risk. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
    Pause squats are helpful, but based on a day’s experimenting, I think 1.5s will be better
    I would think pause squats would be better to drive progress because you're going to be able to lift heavier with the pause squat than you would with this 1.5 thingy. Seems like it would not be optimal to me

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
    That’s exactly what they might be for, Ryan. It’s what I need. Still nothing pops on Google.

Rip asked what they are to try to emphasize the point that they are far from being a partial squat, I expect. And he then asked where they are in the blue book to say that they are of such narrow potential usefulness that they do not qualify as an accessory lift. Whether they will serve me as a better light day substitute for pause squats or pin squats is for me to risk. Thanks.
    Right. They're not in the blue book, and there is no video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast