starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressed Texas Method for old guy and questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Twenty pounds of bodyweight gain in four months is pretty good.
    No, it's not.

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    Every other day is best, 2 days off is tolerable, but beyond that, I start to miss reps that should have gone up.
    It sounds like what I have experienced. I’m going to give this a try. Thanks.

That's why I suggested you could go with 3D; in this case you would squat "heavy" 3 to 4 times every two weeks. Out of curiosity, what made you reach the conclusion that you have recovery issues? up.
    I was “running out of gas” as described on page 190 of “The Barbell Prescription” under “Getting unstuck:”. 1. Excessive training stress within the workout.”

I no longer feel “out of gas”, but it didn't help my presses changing to the. (4 day novice Type 1 w/ three day pressing rotation page 208 TBBP example 20-6) even though I was squatting 2 days a week 3x5…

I’m going to try your suggestion. 3D 2-Day Novice but run it every other day alternating. If i feel like need 2 days off ill do so after four alternating workouts.

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Lat Pulls 3x8-10

Workout B
    Light squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

I think slightly more deadlift frequency will be good also even if i can only add 5lb every other workout after time. Ill keep adding 5lb though as long as i can obv.

Also ill be looking into a T clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    For me it is. Even at 145lb I was in the mid 20% (skinny fat) body fat range. Body fat goes straight to my gut and chest mostly. I don't care about abs or bf but I’ve been VERY under muscled my whole life. Long arms and legs and very small bones and frame. Prior to starting training my dr was on me for an A1c at “pre diabetic” level (too much bf to muscle) so I hope the training and eating healthy help keep it at a good level even though I have gained more fat but more importantly muscle too. I do not eat any junk. I get my 200g of protein from eggs, turkey, chicken, beef and salmon, cheese and no sugar yogurt. Carbs are oats, rice, quinoa some fruit and salads. Lots of nuts also. Im in a 500/day caloric surplus. I cant drink milk as it bloats me and makes me feel like shit since I was 39. Im eating more and better than I ever have. My progress is far slower than average I understand but I’m making progress and Im determined to never quit. A year from now i’ll be a different person. After 4 months I already am. I’m in the bottom 1% of the muscel building genetic pool and started very late after not living the best lifestyle for 20 years but I’m grateful for finding Starting Strength via TBBP..

Quote Originally Posted by bbelltim3 View Post
    If i feel like need 2 days off ill do so after four alternating workouts.
    I do take an extra day off whenever I believe I need it. You will also find that an every-other-day training schedule is more vulnerable to being disturbed by life events. Sometimes the second day off just schedule itself in.

Here's one last, very recent observation about the press and the bench. I started with 3 sets of 5 like everybody else, then moved to 5 sets of 3 (which is recommended for the ladies) and, when I started missing reps, I kept going for a total of 15 reps like Nick recommends. Here's what happened:

Press
    89 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1
    90 lbs - 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2
    91 lbs - 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2
    92 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Bench
    127 lbs - 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 1
    128 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 1
    129 lbs - 3, 3, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1
    130 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
    131 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

So the lesson here is that, had I assumed that I could not longer hit my 5 triples based on the previous sessions, I wouldn't have. I plan and try to get 5 triples; I don't rack the bar after 1 or 2 reps without attempting the next one. "15 reps total" is a not my program; it's a contingency plan. If you don't complete your 3 sets of 5, never assume you won't be able to next time. Always give it your best shot!

when I started missing reps, I kept going for a total of 15 reps like Nick recommends.
    Yes I’ve experienced similar. I never rack it after x # of reps other than 5. I only rack it after attempting the next rep and failing after pushing with all my might for at least 5 seconds of no movement. I give everything I have. I detrain super fast on the presses and no doubt more frequency will be the key.

Im scrapping the comp tm for now. A light reset and back to 3sets of 5 across. If I fail any reps ill still get my 15 and add #1lb on the next session. Like I was before. The problem I faced before trying the comp tm (for 1.5 weeks) was starting to miss a rep on the first set of the new weight add but completing 15 reps with as many per set as possible etc, then adding a lb on the next session only to take more and more sets to complete the session.

Today is a normal off day and I’ll be starting the alternating 3D workout schedule tomorrow.

Here's one last, very recent observation about the press and the bench. I started with 3 sets of 5 like everybody else, then moved to 5 sets of 3 (which is recommended Here's what happened:

Press
    89 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1
    90 lbs - 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2
    91 lbs - 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2
    92 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Bench
    127 lbs - 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 1
    128 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 1
    129 lbs - 3, 3, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1
    130 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
    131 lbs - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
    Great work! Way to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by bbelltim3 View Post
    I never rack it after x # of reps other than 5. I only rack it after attempting the next rep and failing after pushing with all my might for at least 5 seconds of no movement. I give everything I have.
    That's the spirit!

So I took your advice on pressing every other day and its worked. The extra day pressing every two weeks was what I needed! Im back to making new 3x5 pr’s each time I press.

As far as squatting goes I skip squatting every 4th workout. So I squat 3x per week w/ no light day (yet) and I add weight once a week. I’m having no recovery issues this way, and I feel good. The lower than average progress is fine with me as I’m giving extra time for my tendons and ligaments to get thicker and stronger to keep up with the strength and muscle gains?

Frequency is very important for me Ive found. I detrain fast! Thanks again for your advice, it has really gotten my presses back on track!

That's awesome, thanks for the update!

That's awesome, thanks for the update!
    no prob 👍

starting strength coach development program
    Update.
    So I’m running into the problem as I approach the same prs as before. Here are my last 3x5 fails. (I still getting in my 15 total reps)

Press 6lb 3x5 (pre 3x5 pr was 60lb)
    64lbs 5,5,4,1
    65lb 4,4,3,2,2
    66lb 4,3,4,3,1

Bench 92 3x5
    93lb 5,5,4,1 (pre 3x5 pr was 93lb)

So I’m getting to the same spot as last time where i end up getting less and less reps making for lots of sets and long workout times. Its really frustrating. Just that 1lb extra for whatever reason make a big difference. I give it my 110% and it appears I'm basically a non responder. I can gain body fat no prob but the muscle is amazingly slow. Onwards I grind. I will never give up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast