starting strength gym

Thread: Lower Body Exercises After Surgery on Legs & Hips

Default Lower Body Exercises After Surgery on Legs & Hips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I fell seven floors down an airshaft five years ago. Here's the story: Columbia party animal falls down seven stories in dorm air shaft

Anyways, the main injury I suffered from the fall was compartment syndrome, which the doctors alleviated with fasciotomies to my left hip, left upper leg, and left lower legs. The most damaging surgery was to the upper interior of my left leg, where the hip adductors are. That fasciotomy resulted in an infection so the doctors dug a big chunk out of my leg there.

The overall result is that my entire left leg is quite stiff and inflexible. I can squat down, but after a certain point (about half squatting, 135 degrees), my hips start to become nonparallel with the ground due to the leg's stiffness. I can deadlift, but I'm trying to do sumo deadlift as well to hit my adductors and regrow that big chunk of meat the doctors dug out. When I perform the sumo, sometimes I'll have the same problem as the squat (hips becoming nonparallel with ground), but sometimes I won't. Not sure why this is. Also, my left leg is obviously far weaker at this point compared to my right.

I am doing physical therapy, but due to the severity of the injuries it's going slowly. At least I have some gnarly fuckin scars.

Anyways, should I alter my programming to accommodate my left leg? How should I do so? I was doing SS before I fell and was quite satisfied with my progress, but I can't perform full squats anymore..

IMG_4031.jpg

Anyways here's the fasciotomy. They opened up three more sites on the other side of my leg and my left asscheek. As I said, fuckin gnarly

This will require a coach. Problems like this require individual analysis and advice.

For me the hardest part of recovering from leg surgery was trying to get my squats back to competition depth. Narrowing my stance slightly and sitting down instead of sitting back added a few inches to my potential squat depth while I was recovering. Although I was still squatting high, after a couple of weeks the changes were enough to get my squats below my sticking point. As my flexibility improved, I started reversing the technique changes.

I started very light and added weight quickly. After a few weeks, I began training normally.