starting strength gym

Thread: % offset on Kingwood Texas Method

Default % offset on Kingwood Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In Barbell Prescription the advice for the % offset when calculating the ‘Light’ day weights is to err closer to 5% than 10% since its only a 2 day/week programme.
    My question is, does this calculation refer to the Volume day weights for both workouts in that mini block or for both Volume and Intensity weights. Clearly, there will be some significant difference.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackknight View Post
    In Barbell Prescription the advice for the % offset when calculating the ‘Light’ day weights is to err closer to 5% than 10% since its only a 2 day/week programme.
    My question is, does this calculation refer to the Volume day weights for both workouts in that mini block or for both Volume and Intensity weights. Clearly, there will be some significant difference.
    Thank you!
    On reflection, my initial post is rather confusing…..
    The Kingwood version of TM is a 2/week modification to include:
    Week 1: Day 1 Volume . Day 2 Light/recovery
    Week 2: Day 1 Intensity. Day 2 Light/recovery
    And to my question. The text refers to a 5% offset of the Volume weight for the Light day in Week 1. Should I use the same weight for the recovery day in week 2 or do I recalculate off the Intensity day?
    Hope this makes more sense?!?

Thank you!
    It's going to be 5-10% less than the volume day weights. Light days are "light" Volume days are lighter than intensity days - but they aren't "light."

Also, keep in mind that % are used in these programming examples as reference points, not absolutes. It varies by the lifter. So use your head and recent training data on making individual adjustments to the load to get the desired effect of each session.

On reflection, my initial post is rather confusing…..
    The Kingwood version of TM is a 2/week modification to include:
    Week 1: Day 1 Volume . Day 2 Light/recovery
    Week 2: Day 1 Intensity. Day 2 Light/recovery
    And to my question. The text refers to a 5% offset of the Volume weight for the Light day in Week 1. Should I use the same weight for the recovery day in week 2 or do I recalculate off the Intensity day?
    Hope this makes more sense?!?
    The light day in each week will be based off the volume session. It's fine if the light day loads stay static for 2 weeks or even several weeks in a row. The Stress that will drive the Adaptations comes from the Volume and Intensity. I'd probably look at bumping up the light day every 2-4 weeks if you're following this program. That increases the overall stress of the program by a very small margin which is desirable for older trainees.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    It's going to be 5-10% less than the volume day weights. Light days are "light" Volume days are lighter than intensity days - but they aren't "light."

Also, keep in mind that % are used in these programming examples as reference points, not absolutes. It varies by the lifter. So use your head and recent training data on making individual adjustments to the load to get the desired effect of each session.

The light day in each week will be based off the volume session. It's fine if the light day loads stay static for 2 weeks or even several weeks in a row. The Stress that will drive the Adaptations comes from the Volume and Intensity. I'd probably look at bumping up the light day every 2-4 weeks if you're following this program. That increases the overall stress of the program by a very small margin which is desirable for older trainees.
    Brilliant, Andy-thank you for the clarification. Can’t beat it coming straight from the horses mouth!