starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Father Short on Time

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I hope you're planning to move to a different job. 10 hours of work+2 hours commuting is fucking insane, unless you're not working 5 days a week like everyone else, or you're being paid so fucking well or amassing such amazing experience that you can use it as a jumping off point to something better.

I'd rather see you squat, press, bench a couple times a week and deadlift once a week than do 0. Do what you can. Fuck the power clean if you're short of time. And fuck your 6 day a week option. Just do 4 days: MTH squat 3x5 bench 3x5 and then TueSat Press 3x5 Deadlift 1x5. Each workout done 2x/week. Swap one of the deadlift days out for 3xF Chins when 2x/week deadlifts is too much. These should take you 30-45 minutes per workout depending on the day. You probably require fewer warmup sets than you think, too.

If you say this wouldn't work then you're saying 2-3 hours of workouts per Week cannot be accommodated, which I doubt, but you be the judge of that. Some children and mothers need more attention and time than others and we all know the world needs good fathers. Nobody would blame you for missing time, but also, you know it's not going to get any easier in the future. It may be a good time to build the habit in. Even 1-2 good workouts a week is better than 0. Good luck with everything!

Little late but, my man, do NOT stop training. Take it down to two days a week, one of them being on your day off. You can get strong training twice a week. There will always be *something* that gets in the way, may as well get used to it and learn to work around it. Not many have a perfect schedule or a life perfectly suited to training. Wait for that to happen and you'll never train. We have to adapt and make it work the best we can given our individual circumstances.

You have to take care of yourself to be useful to anyone else.

Best wishes and hey, congratulations!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller1991 View Post
    First, congratulations on the new addition.

31 yo father of 5 here - the most recent being born in December of 2021.

I am blessed to have a wife who since very early on has taken care of the babies at night as she breast fed exclusively, and most of our babies sleep decently at night, but I have still had to deal with a newborn crying in the wee hours especially in the first few weeks when I try to give my wife a break whenever possible.

That said, ain't nothing to it but to do it. You won't be hitting PRs every session or feeling like superman, but you can still workout at least a couple times a week, hit it hard, and get your nutrition in.

Otherwise it will be twice as hard to go back to it in the future - sleep gets better but your life won't get less busy as your children grow.
    Hi there,

We had our fourth child just before Christmas and it’s been really difficult to be consistent at training.

Reading your post I was just wondering if you had any practical tips on making it work: how often do you train? How long? Do you still follow a program with a coach or you just lift weight when you can? Etc.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12