starting strength gym

Thread: Slowed LP and Hip Replacement

Default Slowed LP and Hip Replacement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all. I am interested to hear from others with hip replacements or those that couch trainees who have had hip replacement surgery regarding linear progression.

I am 48 years old, I had a total right hip replacement about 15 months ago. Currently following the novice program but at some point I will want to slow the rate of increase to give the lower body time to adjust. I am considering jumping straight to the advanced novice program as it only increases twice weekly. (I don’t do power cleans as jumping is out of the question)

Would be interested to hear from other post operative lifters to see how you manage linear progression.

Thanks.

So I'm answering in the full expectation that properly qualified people may give better answers, but I want to see if I'm understanding the methodology of the SS method more. I did my NLP after a patella tendon rupture and repair so have some limited insight.

If you are capable of performing the movement with any weight even the empty bar without any serious discomfort you can train the movement.

The problem with going straight for a light day midweek may be that initially you are fully recovered after 48 hours (likely as you should be using a conservative starting weight) and leaving your next stress (increased weight over 3 sets of 5) until a further 48 hours after could mean you have actually detrained slightly by that session. You also slow your progress to 2/3 of what it could be.

I think a coach would be money well spent even more than usual in this situation.

Thank you for your insight. They is also a mental element to this in that I feel I need some additional time to prepare my mind for the increased workload as I build trust in the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by RigPig View Post
    Thank you for your insight. They is also a mental element to this in that I feel I need some additional time to prepare my mind for the increased workload as I build trust in the hip.
    I completely get it. This article is very insightful Training and the Artificial Joint | John Petrizzo and like I say if a SS coach is an option I think it would be invaluable

Hey RigPig. I don't post much but had to respond since I asked some very similar questions not too long ago. You can find my previous posts to see what people told me. But for me, that's exactly what I did, I slowed down the LP for SQ and DL. Way down. I started empty bar and slowly worked my way up. I would periodically reset 10-20% even when I was at 'easy' weights just to give my self an opportunity to lock in the form and make sure I was really ready. I would also make sure I was grooving the weight before moving on, so I would DL and SQ the same weight 3-5 workouts before I moved up the 5 lbs ,then when I hit a new peak I would back off 10% and work my way up to a new peak using the same pattern. I found that the muscle imbalances created by having a bad hip for years were pretty significant and took some effort to even out. This may have been way too conservative, I don't know. But my thinking was I don't really care where I was in the short term, I'm looking to win the long term game here. My squat and DL still relatively lag my other lifts, but having never learned to do them properly prior to the surgery they are personal bests for me, I'm doing those weights easily, not hurting myself, and they will keep moving up slowly as long as things are feeling good.

Upper body stuff I use a similar methodology to try and eek out everything from the LP, still making slow progress there too.

SQ 275x5x3
    DL 315x5x1
    B 310x5x3
    P 173x5x3

Best of luck to you with your training and continued recovery.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by M750 View Post
    Hey RigPig. I don't post much but had to respond since I asked some very similar questions not too long ago. You can find my previous posts to see what people told me. But for me, that's exactly what I did, I slowed down the LP for SQ and DL. Way down. I started empty bar and slowly worked my way up. I would periodically reset 10-20% even when I was at 'easy' weights just to give my self an opportunity to lock in the form and make sure I was really ready. I would also make sure I was grooving the weight before moving on, so I would DL and SQ the same weight 3-5 workouts before I moved up the 5 lbs ,then when I hit a new peak I would back off 10% and work my way up to a new peak using the same pattern. I found that the muscle imbalances created by having a bad hip for years were pretty significant and took some effort to even out. This may have been way too conservative, I don't know. But my thinking was I don't really care where I was in the short term, I'm looking to win the long term game here. My squat and DL still relatively lag my other lifts, but having never learned to do them properly prior to the surgery they are personal bests for me, I'm doing those weights easily, not hurting myself, and they will keep moving up slowly as long as things are feeling good.

Upper body stuff I use a similar methodology to try and eek out everything from the LP, still making slow progress there too.

SQ 275x5x3
    DL 315x5x1
    B 310x5x3
    P 173x5x3

Best of luck to you with your training and continued recovery.
    Thanks for the detailed reply M750. I will be sure to take a look at your other posts.