starting strength gym

Thread: 2 Days A Week Programming

Default 2 Days A Week Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am coaching an apprentice at my office gym who has started their LP about 3 weeks ago. We have a squat rack, a bench, and a deadlift platform we are allowed to utilize. He is 6'3", 196, and no physical ailments we are aware of. Currently, we work a 4-day, 10 hour shift, with 3 days off. This means I can coach him for 2 days at the office, but he has no gym membership or access to equipment on his off days.

His numbers are: SQ 140, Bench 125, Press 95, Deadlift 200. His lifts are progressing at this 2x/week pace, and he is (or claims to be) eating enough. The bar speed seems a little fast on his squat and deadlift, and I admittedly could have probably started him a little bit heavier. I feel like he could currently handle a third day, in which he trains 2 days in a row, takes a rest day, and then lifts a third day. I am just unsure if, long term, it would be better to do the 2x/week training, or if I should press my luck with 3x/week spread over 4 days.

Also note: Since he's an apprentice at my office, I'll only have access to him until mid or late October and then they're going to move him to a different department and different shift. I'm trying to make progress as quickly as possible and at least get him self-sustained, with positive momentum. I suspect he'll need to eat even more on the two consecutive days. Is there anything else I should be aware of and anything in particular I should be concerned about if I move him to 3x/week with the middle day having no rest?

I think you can move him to 3 days, and run the loads up to where they should be ASAP. Make sure he eats and sleeps, since that kills the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you can move him to 3 days, and run the loads up to where they should be ASAP. Make sure he eats and sleeps, since that kills the deal.
    Copy that. Thanks!