starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intensity or Volume

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Stewart 2 View Post
    Yes, I agree, and like I said I’m actively working on that. First, I need to get some creatine, and whey protein so I can bolster my diet and then I am also planning to do some specific things with my diet to make sure I’m consistently getting enough protein and calories. I normally roughly follow the vertical diet, meaning my main staples are healthy read meat and rice, and then I add a lot of nutrient dense stuff on top of that, eggs, deer and beef liver, bone broth, and greens and many vegetables. What I want to do is get a calorie target, then use Santana’s fist protein tule of thumb and basically come up with a target calorie for protein fat and rice, and then titrate my rice intake up until I am taking in enough overall calories. It’s a bit difficult because I struggle with some obscure autoimmune issues that limit what I can eat without getting sick. For example I can’t use milk to boost calories or I have major problems. But the vertical diet foods don’t seem to give me any issues. I just got married in June and I started the program July so I’m still negotiating my diet with my wife and helping her understand my diet needs have changed dramatically. Thanks for the advice and I honestly take it to heart and will act on it, but again it’s less then helpful in terms of what I am going to do with modulating my training in a small time horizon according to my Heart Rate Variablity.
    You are significantly overthinking this. Stop worrying about HRV and creatine.

Do the program. Get 225g of protein per day and 8 hours of sleep. If the scale isn't going up in a few weeks, then you have to worry about adding calories.

Well my question is more specific to the NLP with Starting strength. Regardless of what people think I am actually trying to “do the program” but I am also a competent person capable of thinking for meself and learning. So my options are closer to adding 5 lbs to the bar or not, or sound 3 sets of 5 or 2 sets or 1 set. But of all the responses I’ve gotten I think you alone are actually understanding my question, avoiding the knee jerk answers, and thinking about it along with your experience. So thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    You are not a brilliant intellectual.
    Do you have any evidence to support that claim? I might agree with you, truly, but it would be dishonest of me to grant to you that your in a position to know, after these brief exchanges on weight training. Are you a brilliant intellectual?

I just got married in June and I started the program July so I’m still negotiating my diet with my wife and helping her understand my diet needs have changed dramatically. Thanks for the advice and I honestly take it to heart and will act on it, but again it’s less then helpful in terms of what I am going to do with modulating my training in a small time horizon according to my Heart Rate Variablity.
    Ok I was kind of with you and roughly getting what you were driving at until this point. If you're that worried about your health and those external factors to your lifting and are truly part of a special population, you should read or listen to the Barbell Prescription. Which also answers your original question, though I believe you're phrasing it wrong and thinking about it incorrectly. Instead of asking "what affects recovery more" (which will immediately take you down the road of "why aren't you recovering"), I believe if you had phrased it something like "which is harder on the body - volume or intensity" you would have had different answers and you may have thought about it differently (which you can also find oodles of answers to on this board).

Aside from that, if you've only been doing the program since July I doubt you have enough data to make any kind of logical conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    Ok I was kind of with you and roughly getting what you were driving at until this point. If you're that worried about your health and those external factors to your lifting and are truly part of a special population, you should read or listen to the Barbell Prescription. Which also answers your original question, though I believe you're phrasing it wrong and thinking about it incorrectly. Instead of asking "what affects recovery more" (which will immediately take you down the road of "why aren't you recovering"), I believe if you had phrased it something like "which is harder on the body - volume or intensity" you would have had different answers and you may have thought about it differently (which you can also find oodles of answers to on this board).

Aside from that, if you've only been doing the program since July I doubt you have enough data to make any kind of logical conclusion.
    Well I’m asking a question I believe to everyone equally, but you may be right that the answers are in the BB Prescription, I would not know I have not read it since I’m only 35.

And I very well may have phrased the question wrong, I have been struggling on how to phrase it write inorder to trigger the minds of those reading, in essence to get out of a algorithmic mode into a truly thinking mode, at a fundamental level what we are talking about is adapting or recovering to a stress applied to the body and what type of stress is let’s say “easier” to adapt to. And yes I realize I’m talking about slightly deviating from the program inorder to modulate the amount of stress applied, but I think if done in an objective and skilled way, it can benefit and not detract from the tremendous effectiveness the program clearly has, at least for me specifically. But since you have a better framing to the question why don’t you answer the question your asking? Because I honestly don’t know the answer, but based on what I have heard Rip describe about older populations, not saying this necessarily applies to me, lowering volume is the best way to keep the weight heavy but not over stress the body in a way that an older person cannot recover from. I don’t think this phenomenon ids like a switch that turns on at a certain age it’s just less of an issue the younger and more adaptable you are, so my hypothesis is that volume would be the better variable to dial down. But I never claimed to know this is correct, so I’m not sure what you refering to when saying I don’t have enough data, enough data for what? And for what conclusion?

Well I’m asking a question I believe to everyone equally, but you may be right that the answers are in the BB Prescription, I would not know I have not read it since I’m only 35.
    This is pretty funny.

I just got married in June and I started the program July so I’m still negotiating my diet with my wife and helping her understand my diet needs have changed dramatically.
    Can't you just eat what your wife cooks and two steaks on top of that?

Since we cannot know when an acute stressor might arrive, one way of preventing a heart attack besides diet and strength training is monitoring and modulating HRV. HRV is a direct view into the central nervous system and incompases all the stressors that affect it including, mental and emotional stress, metabolic stress, alcohol, and physical training stress. So I decided that as part of my training I am going to monitor my HRV with an app called HRV4Training that is highly accurate, as accurate as the test a cardiologist would give you. So all that to say I completly agree with the first three questions as reguards to recovery, and I am closely monitoring all three. Do between 5 and 10 min between work sets depending on the exercise sometimes more when it feels tough and bar speed is slow, I am eating as much I can bare and actively seeking ways to I increase that part as it’s probably the hardest of the 3 for me with some digestion issues I have. And I am closely guarding my 8 hours of sleep sometimes more. However, when my HRV app says my HRV is very low and I should “limit intensity” in reference to my training I want to modulate my training accordingly to allow for some more recovery, and then hit it hard again when HRV is good, and really it’s good more often then not and I’m not using it as an excuse. I can tell you from experience that it is very objective, sometimes I feel like shit but if HRV is good I train hard anyway. If that makes me a pussy, frankly I don’t give a damn what anyone thinks anyway, I’m just trying to figure out what training variable is best to manipulate to speed up the recovery of my HRV which I suspect is realated to what we call recovery in training. Then I’ll give it hell when I’m adapting well to the overall stress in my central nervous system. Now before I get barraged with a scatter of sycophantry and narrow robot thinking I suggest anyone wanting to have this discussion educate themselves on HRV because the science in it is legit, it’s a powerful tool and it’s not going away anytime soon.

I also forgot to mention that I have a job that requires that I do a lot of hard labor often out in the elements and that this also affects my recovery and HRV and again I am closely monitoring my answers to the “first 3 questions” but I am going to modulate trying to accommodate my HRV when it’s low in one way or another. Even if that means as mentioned moving into more intermediate type programming. However the only lift that I have failed reps on is the press. So I’m not sure if intermediate programming is appropriate yet… but I have also tried holding weight constant and also adding 5 lbs but reducing sets, mainly on the squat and deadlift when my HRV is low. But I can’t say that I could tell subjectively or objectively with the HRV score which would have helped more. It just slows progress when I hold weight constant and when I reduce sets, I didn’t notice much difficulty adding 5 lbs the next workout but I could see it potentially slowing progress too. But I don’t care about that, I am not trying to win a race, I’m trying to get healthy and I’m willing to slow progress when my HRV is low and for no other reason and I’ll get there soon enough. But maybe they’re are some things I’m not considering and my understanding of training is admititly limited. Any wise and well informed advice is welcomed.
    HRV is not a "direct view into the central nervous system", HRV4Training is not "highly accurate", and neither has any relevance to strength training. You should listen to experienced coaches instead of an app on your phone.

starting strength coach development program
    Do you have any evidence to support that claim? I might agree with you, truly, but it would be dishonest of me to grant to you that your in a position to know, after these brief exchanges on weight training. Are you a brilliant intellectual?
    The evidence is in your every post. Instead of asking a simple question and getting a satisfactory answer, you rather choose the option to write as much nonsensical phrases just to be able to bask in your superiorly worded gibberish, which you can then proceed to read over and over your 'brilliantly formulated' sentences which anyone with an average IQ and a lower tolerance for endless drivel can dissect the illogical construct of your premise which inevitably leads to a fallible conclusion (which shouldn't even have been made on your part, since you are the one asking the fucking question).

Just eat a double portion of your wife's shitty food.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123