starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench stuck at 200

Default Bench stuck at 200

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    27 years old, 220lbs, 5'10" NLP for last 6 months coming off shoulder surgery.

Squat: 325
    DL: 375
    BP: 200
    Press: 137

I've been microloading 1-2lbs on my BP since 185. Last Monday, I hit 3 sets of 5 on my Bench at 199.

On Friday, I increased to 200 and ended up having to do 3*3*3*2*2 to get my 15 reps.
    Yesterday, I stayed at 200 and got my 15 reps from 4*3*3*3*2.

Two questions.. is 15 reps the same "stress" regardless of how many sets it takes to get there? If so, I'm guessing that I am not properly stressing myself to where I will adapt to be able to get 3*5. If so, should I try to get 3*5 at 200 again next workout, or something else?

Thanks

15 singles is obviously not the same stress as 3 sets of 5. This is discussed in PPST3. Perhaps recovery is not taking place for other reasons. What might those be?

Sleep is good, diet is solid for the most part, a little inconsistent but still hitting ~200g protein on average, gaining weight each week. Technique is inconsistent, and I think that’s my hurdle. Struggling to keep everything tight and shoulders back.

Total calories?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Total calories?
    Right around 3,500 on average.

As a 27 year old guy, you need more calories.
    Think about it this way:

Suppose a pound of bodyweight takes only 10 calories per day to MAINTAIN (just an arbitrary number I'm picking to illustrate a point). In that case basic math says you need 2200 calories to avoid being in a caloric deficit. What if that same pound of bodyweight takes....20 calories? Now you need 4400...JUST TO STAVE OFF DEATH.

What happens if the muscle is actively working then? Being torn down, broken up, having to rebuild, etc.? You see where I'm going with this.

Eat more food. I'm your age, 3 inches taller, and 20lbs heavier. I've tracked my calories because I thought I was eating enough, and 4000 was/is nowhere near enough when I'm pushing the limit.

That makes sense. My only question is, if I am still gradually putting on weight each week ( I was 187 this spring, now 220 and climbing), doesn't that mean I'm in a caloric surplus?

I find it hard to believe you've put on 33 pounds on 3500 calories a day. And your numbers are pretty low for a guy your size.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltonar View Post
    As a 27 year old guy, you need more calories.
    Think about it this way:

Suppose a pound of bodyweight takes only 10 calories per day to MAINTAIN (just an arbitrary number I'm picking to illustrate a point). In that case basic math says you need 2200 calories to avoid being in a caloric deficit. What if that same pound of bodyweight takes....20 calories? Now you need 4400...JUST TO STAVE OFF DEATH.

What happens if the muscle is actively working then? Being torn down, broken up, having to rebuild, etc.? You see where I'm going with this.

Eat more food. I'm your age, 3 inches taller, and 20lbs heavier. I've tracked my calories because I thought I was eating enough, and 4000 was/is nowhere near enough when I'm pushing the limit.
    Finding what your TDEE is to begin with is next to impossible. It varies every day, and lifting throws a huge and almost impossible to measure variable into the mix. It's why I always find it funny when some smug "lean bulk" type advocates eating in a very tiny surplus. How the fuck do you even know what a surplus that small looks like for you? A tiny surplus can be utterly ruined by something as simple as a day of yard work.

OP: If your diet is less than consistent, make it more consistent. Are you still gaining weight, or have you stopped? Also, if you think technique's a problem, get a form check. Could very well be especially if it's just the bench that is vexing you like this. Could also be a mental thing, the fact that it's stalled right at 200 makes that a strong possiblity. Do you bench with safeties or a spotter, or are you totally unprotected? Squat and bench both have a particular issue with failure weighing heavily on the mind, seeing as you have to decide to take the weight DOWN before you try to get it back UP.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Finding what your TDEE is to begin with is next to impossible. It varies every day, and lifting throws a huge and almost impossible to measure variable into the mix. It's why I always find it funny when some smug "lean bulk" type advocates eating in a very tiny surplus. How the fuck do you even know what a surplus that small looks like for you? A tiny surplus can be utterly ruined by something as simple as a day of yard work..
    Totally agree. Like some days my job is very physically taxing, some days not as much and I never know what each day brings until that day is done. Could be slack in the a.m. and busy as hell in the afternoon, or the opposite. Could be heavy all day or light all day. How could I even begin to figure out calorie expenditure when I don't know what even the next two hours will bring?

I do not think he needs to keep gaining weight at this point though. I think he needs his strength needs to grow into his bodyweight as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast