starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing to intermediate?

Default Changing to intermediate?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I did the original Starting Strength program for while now and my lifts have stalled.
    Stats:
    Squat: 105kg/231.5lbs
    Benchpress:70kg/154lbs
    Press:50kg/110lbs
    Deadlift:115kg/253.5lbs
    Powerclean: 67.5kg/149lbs

Also, I'm 16 years old and weigh about 68kg/150lbs.

Should I change to intermediate? I read about making some "intermediate adjustments" on the wikia, but I'm not sure I got it.
    Would this be the same as moving on to intermediate: Wednesday being light day, and then I either do squats 2x5 with 80% of regular weight, or front-squats 3x5 with as much as I can handle doing front squats(?).
    I also read something about "adding more pullups/chins". Well, I didn't fuck with the program so I can't add "more" pullups/chins, when should I do them anyways? I also read something about "effort" ect. but I don't really care, I just want a good scheme to follow.

Any help?

Have you reset and tried to move your lifts up? If you have then do the advanced intermediate when the middle day (wednesday) is a light day and PRs come on Monday and Friday(for squats).

Regarding pull-ups you might find this thread useful:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=30138&page=2

Look at the 14th and 15th posts. That might give you some ideas for pull-ups.

Make sure you eat a ton and keep going. I don't think it will hurt you to move on to intermediate but it is possible to ride out LP a bit more.

Good luck

How tall are you? you're skinny and while young, seems like you can push that squat farther

I'm 175cm/5,7 feet. I'm not really skinny, I'm actually quite muscular TBH. I eat as much as I can and yes I have been resetting my lifts several times, so I suppose I should move on to the "advanced intermediate", but how do I do that? Is it like I explained in the first post?

Don't read the wiki starting strength. It has some contradictions. Read this

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_texas_method

And if you haven't bought practical programming do so. An intermediate lifter needs to know all this stuff and can no longer depend on internet "advice" alone.

If you have good form, eat plenty, rest plenty, and have reset several times you should move on to the intermediate training styles.

Check out KSC's vlog where he distills the transition from novice to intermediate.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...d.php?t=30251&

Quote Originally Posted by Dillman View Post
    Don't read the wiki starting strength. It has some contradictions. Read this

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_texas_method

And if you haven't bought practical programming do so. An intermediate lifter needs to know all this stuff and can no longer depend on internet "advice" alone.

If you have good form, eat plenty, rest plenty, and have reset several times you should move on to the intermediate training styles.

Check out KSC's vlog where he distills the transition from novice to intermediate.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...d.php?t=30251&
    "Don't read the wiki starting strength. It has some contradictions."
    +1

"And if you haven't bought practical programming do so. An intermediate lifter needs to know all this stuff and can no longer depend on internet "advice" alone."

+1 the model in PP is important to know. ...and really though Starting Strength won't address your programming problem it's a really good book to have around when it comes to form and on how to teach the lifts. The exposition on how the squat and DL work are really great compared to the 4 line blurb you get most places. It will be useful if you end up teaching other people the lifts.

Anyway, you should definitely add some Pull-ups and/or chins. My approach (though it is not the officially sanctioned one, i think) is to just add a couple of sets after each workout.

The next step would be advanced novice. The only thing you would change is that on Wednesdays you'd do light squats. If you want to learn front squats... you can do that instead, but make sure your normal low bar back squat form is really dialed in before you branch out, and also that you understand the difference. (Rip has a vid. on front squats in the Resources area).

But before you go there, can you describe your resets more (failures, increments etc) ? i.e. are you confident you were doing them when they are recommended ? Also, how long have you been doing SS ? Those are some pretty nice numbers for your height/age/weight

@dillman: thanks for the link to the Vlog. hadn't seen that.

Dude you need to eat more and gain weight. I've never done the texas method but isn't recovery going to be just as hard as it is now if you're not eating enough?

I've done the program for about a year I think. But after 2 months I got hurt because of bad form and after 1 months I started again, with better form. I've also taken some breaks because of other injuries during the year, like my knee-pain during squats because of Osgoods Schlatter that I get because of the hard floor we run on during the school gymnastics/physical training(I had to cancel in the middle of my squats because of the pain). I also got a shoulder injury during the squats so I had to pause for 3-4 weeks. I've also had some pauses because of minor strains.
    I don't remember all my failures, but I stalled sometimes and then I reloaded and then I got stronger. I used to increase the weight 2.5kg/5.5lbs each workout, but now the squatsare so heavy so I don't think I can anymore, I feel like I'm about to fail everytime(last reps are sometimes "good morning'd" up) so I decided to stay at this weight for a while, and I also stay at the same weigh for the deadlift because of bad form, and I even lowered the weight to 110kg/242lbs because of my form being really bad at 115/253lbs(crooked back). And it has been long ago since I put on some more weight on any of the movements because they are to heavy. But I'll admit that I fribble a bit with the sleeping part. And that I'm boxing training once a week, I know that it's disturbing my rest but I really want to learn boxing too. I also started to consume eiselt protein powder and eiselts creatine(yes, I try to drink much milk too). I try to eat as much as I can, but it's not that easy when it's 4hours between breakfast and school lunch and then another 5hours until dinner. That's all I can think of.

For the advanced novice part, would it be good like this?:
    Monday:
    I do the original Starting Strength scheme and pullups after.
    Wednesday:
    Original Starting Strength scheme but with front squats instead of back squats, will I have X% of back squat work-weigh or will I use so much weigh I can handle during front squats? And lastly, chins(variation between chins and pullups good or bad? Should I only practice one of them or both?).
    Friday:
    Same as monday.

And then next week I increase the weight and continue as usual.

Correct?
    Last edited by PunchSlap; 04-28-2012 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

In advanced novice you increase the weight for squats both monday and friday and every time for everything else just as you normally have been. Basically only Wed squats change. Whether you do front squats or back squats on wed you don't want it to be full effort. There's no direct relationship between the weight you can do in a front squat and a back squat so if you go the front squat rout just start pretty light and just work up in 5kg steps for a while as long as your form is ok. BTW, contrary to what i said above doing chins or pull-ups every workout is prob. going to be too much, especially if you haven't been doing it. So just do them every other time. Just pick one style and do it for a few months then maybe switch to the other.

Also, make sure that you keep paying close attention to form on the lifts and try to be on guard for deterioration. That part is good. On the one hand you don't want to stay at the same weight for 3 months.

starting strength coach development program
    Your problem is not the programme you're on, your problem is an aversion to eating and being sucked in by our culture's obsession with being tiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by PunchSlap View Post
    I'm 175cm/5,7 feet. I'm not really skinny, I'm actually quite muscular TBH.
    You're 68kg. I have female clients who could squat you for 20 reps, I have male clients who could press you overhead.

If you get bigger, you will be able to get stronger. If you refuse to get bigger, your lifts will stall whatever routine you're on.

I eat as much as I can
    You also lift as much as you can, and your lifts are stuck. To increase your lifts, increase your food. Begin with an extra litre of milk a day. That's a glass with breakfast, a glass with lunch, a glass with dinner, and a glass before bed. This is easily achieveable and does not even require much willpower.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast