starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Texas Method, can I get some help programming?

Default Starting Texas Method, can I get some help programming?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello guys. I'm currently done with another stint of linear progression. I first used LP from February 2011 (after wrestling season) through the summer with good results. My gains were at times a bit slow because I wrestled several times a week and had several weeks of just wrestling, but I did fine. Winter 2011/2012, I used 5/3/1 to maintain some strength during wrestling season. I inevitably lost a lot of strength, though, from the weight cutting and all the intense practices. In February, I restarted serious weightlifting with vanilla Starting Strength. I continued with the advanced novice template, and although I've had to take some time off for injuries, I've gotten to the point where I can no longer linearly progress.

16 years old
    ~145 lbs
    5'6"

Squats: Twice now, I've hit 290x3x5 perfectly, only to drastically fail at 295 the next heavy squat workout: hitting 5,4,x (my elbow hurt, so I stopped) and then most recently 3,x,x (everything hurt)
    Here's some videos of my squats too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVn2P...&feature=g-upl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m5gk...&feature=g-upl

DL: 295x5

PC: Recent elbow problems have prevented me from doing them consistently, but all time PR of 150x5x3, recent PR of 135x5x3 (easy)

BP: 185x5x3 easy, then I got 187.5 for only 5,5,3 because of my darn elbow hurting

P: 125x5x3 easy, and then 127.5 for 4,4,3

As you can see, I'm a little beaten up. I took most of last week off from both lifting and wrestling to recover and heal up my elbow. It's just a tendon problem I've had before from overuse I think. I'll be ok.

My main question is about starting weights for TM. I'm gonna buy PP soon, but I don't have the time to wait for it. I did my own research, but wasn't completely sure. Should I try to hit my previous 3x5 PR for 5 on Friday on this first week or go lighter?

Tell me what this first week looks like. Too light? Also, I do lots of unweighted pull ups every lifting day.

Monday
    SQ 255x5x5
    BP 160x5x5
    DL 295x5

Wednesday
    SQ 80% of 255 x2x5
    PR 80% of 110 x2x5

Friday
    SQ 285x5
    BP 180x5
    PC 140x5x3

You've done respectably well in your squat progress for someone who has obviously not consumed the prescribed diet for SS, though your deadlift, bench, and press remain rather weak, and it leaves me wondering how far you could sustain your linear progression if you weren't so concerned with maintaining your weight class for wrestling.

However, my hunch is that if you began Texas Method right now, you'd experience several weeks of escalating difficulty before your progress would grind to a halt... if you maintained your current eating habits, that is.

I think its important to step back and ask: what are your strength goals? Are you ready to move up a weight class in wrestling, or do you want to shift your programming to allow you to get stronger at your current bodyweight, so that you can stay within your current weight class?

If you're ready to gain some mass, I would deload on your lifts about 10-15%, and become fixated on eating a lot more. I can almost promise you that you'll push through your former stalling points without much trouble, and those lagging deads, bench, and press will start to catch up with your squats. Once that progress ends, then you can start thinking about TM.

If you need to remain the same bodyweight, however, then your programming should change, I but I don't think Texas Method is the correct choice. Success with TM is extremely dependent on a trainees ability to give fully focus to recovering from the lifting and, accordingly, a willingness to eat enough to gain mass. If you're looking for a program that will help you maintain or peak your strength for the wrestling season, I'd suggest you post a question Andy Baker's programming thread.

Good f***ing work at 16.

I think if you want to put on weight at a slower pace, TM is a little better than SS.. and hitting your previous 3x5 for 5 isn't even a PR, so yeah I'd start there or even shoot for a 5lb PR. No experience with TM, but that's what I'd do.

And to echo skipbeat... good work, really - I wish I'd started that young. Your form looks great, and its really encouraging to see a high school athlete performing full depth squats despite the typically PR-fixated zeitgeist of the high school weight room.

Thank you guys. And since freestyle season just ended, I'm actually done with competition wrestling for quite a while, so I can afford to swell up a bit. I still will practice two to three times a week though, so would you just recommend another reset and more food?

Well first, how much weight are you gaining a week currently? If > 2, I'd do a small (5-10%) reset on your lifts and aim for 2lbs/week, which looks just about right for your weight and height. You should be able to squeeze some more out of advanced novice with some weight gain. Remember, while Intermediate programming represents a "step up", it's also slower progress. I think lifting is the only activity where one wants to remain a newb for as long as possible!

I haven't been gaining any weight, but that was out of necessity with freestyle wrestling, until now at least.

I would recommend increasing your calories drastically, like at least 1000 per day. And retry LP. If you can't make progress and you can honestly say you are eating enough, then switch to TM. You also should be able to milk LP a little more for the bench, press and dead (you can do LP for them and TM for squats if you want).

When you do your proposed TM program, I'd recommend switching the PC's and deads. The 5x5 squat day takes a lot out of you and you'll be dead for those deads (pun intended). PCs are draining, but in a very different way than deadlifts obviously, and I think they would fit better on the volume day. The press day on Wednesday is too light to be useful in my opinion. 2 sets of 5 at 110 should be fine given what your numbers are. I think starting with those weights would be fine. When you switch programs, it's nice to start a little lighter sometimes because it gives you a de-load period of sorts which can be very useful, IMO. Worst case you scenario, you make a bigger jump between week 1 and 2.

Ok everyone, thanks for the input. I'm just gonna take one final go at LP for now. My weights for tomorrow and Wednesday will be 90% of my last successful 3x5 (except for my pulls), with a recovery squat on Wednesday still.

SQ: 265x3x5
    P: 110x3x5
    DL: 295x5

BP: 165x3x5
    PC: 140x5x5

starting strength coach development program
    pretty strong for such a young skinny guy ^_^

I find that while one workout might be a total grind, if i gain a few pounds by the next workout it could be a total breeze, you put on 15 or 20 pounds and you'll be hitting 3 plates for 3x5, EASY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast