starting strength gym

Thread: 5/3/1 Barbell + Body-weight routine

Default 5/3/1 Barbell + Body-weight routine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,

I don't know if you know much about BW stuff, but I cross-posted this on a BW forum and wanted to get y'alls opinions too

I'm finishing up my linear progression on Starting Strength and wanting to hop over to 5/3/1...but include bodyweight/gymnastic movements
    *ok, not really finished on LP (could definitely go for a while longer) but honestly I'm tired of stuffing my face all day long and being tired all the time from squatting 3 times a week

If I was forced to write down a goal my only solid one is a 4 plate squat in 2013, the rest don't matter all that much to me and as long as I'm getting stronger I'm happy. Planche would be a cool party trick too
    I want to get more into parkour type movements, and a lot of the static holds are cool...hence my reason for their inclusion
    Also-I don't want to spend forever in the gym, my current SS workouts take upwards of 1.5 hours...so any opportunity to split up some work at home and enable shorter workouts are a bonus

My plan is to use 5/3/1 for the main barbell lifts, and use bodyweight/weighted for accessory work, see below for my current idea

Currently I suck at or mostly suck at all of the gymnastic movements, and my 5RMs for the core lifts are: (lbs)
    Squat: 250
    DL: 285
    OHP: 125
    Bench: 160

190lbs, 5'10, 28yrs

Monday:
    Overhead Press 5/3/1
    Dips 3x5-8 (weighted to keep reps in range)
    Front Lever progression 60s
    L-Sit work -> Manna

Tuesday:
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Squat 5x10 50%
    Hanging Leg Raises 3x10

Thursday:
    Bench Press 5/3/1
    Pull/Chin Ups 3x5-8 (weighted to keep reps in range)
    Planche progression 60s
    L-Sit work -> Manna

Friday:
    Squat 5/3/1
    Deadlift 5x10 50%
    Back Extension/GHR 3x10
    L-Sit work -> Manna

Other:
    Handstand work randomly all the time
    3x/week hill sprints or such
    Parkour/climbing specific skill training with frequency
    Plan on doing 1 complete days of rest a week, with 1 really light day on the weekend

----
    Appreciate any advice or tips that might help this routine, I'm intending to start this on Monday

Cool with the 5/3/1 stuff, but I have no idea on the gymnastics stuff. Not my thing, but have fun.

At age 30, I just recently learned how to do a back flip off the diving board into my cousins pool. It was pretty awesome.

IMO, your actions don't match your goals. If your goal is to squat 4-wheels then your plan should reflect that. If you're just "tired" of LP then I would question your desire for that particular goal. Apparently, you can still make progress on LP and that would be the most direct way to get your squat higher.

If your goal is to simply be stronger and develop some gymnastic base then your plan looks okay except I would skip the parkour. It works best with one main goal and maybe one sub-goal. You're in danger of spreading yourself too thin and not accomplishing anything.

Well said. And quite accurate.

I actually tried a 5/3/1+bodyweight/gymnastics routine about a year ago while I was leaning out. I didn't stick with it very long because I decided I was fine with the fat and just proceeded on with lifting heavy, but I can tell you a couple of my observations:

The upper body days (bench + press) were hella fun and worked muscles I didn't even know I had. Usually my set-up was:
    Bench assistance: ring rows, ring push-ups, front lever progression, planche progression
    Press assistance: chin-ups, dips, back lever progression, L-sit progression

Lower body days (deadlift + squat) were boring because there's less variety. Assistance was mostly ab work + progression to 1-leg squats. Personally, I like your lower body plan better.

One thing I can say is that my deadlift and squat took a hit because I was leaning out at the time, while my bench maintained and my OHP actually increased a little. I think squatting 4 wheels and doing gymnastics are sort of at cross purposes, since squatting heavy gets easier when you're gaining weight (which makes gymnastics harder), while gymnastics gets easier when you lose weight (which makes squatting harder).

My personal suggestion would be to work towards the 4-wheel squat first, and then hit the gymnastics stuff while leaning out, since you said the big squat was your main goal. I wouldn't necessarily recommend dropping bodyweight exercises (as I said, they're fun), but just know that your progress on them will be slower while training for a big squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
    IMO, your actions don't match your goals. If your goal is to squat 4-wheels then your plan should reflect that. If you're just "tired" of LP then I would question your desire for that particular goal. Apparently, you can still make progress on LP and that would be the most direct way to get your squat higher.
    I said if I had to pick a goal, it'd be to squat 4 wheels in 2013. I think my current plan fits in line nicely with that, just at a slower pace than SS. I ran 2 months of LP and it was awesome, brought my squat 5RM from 135 to 255...but I just don't want to do it anymore. I want to be able to run several times a week, stop feeling gross and full all the time, not be out of breath from running up a flight of stairs, and yes...jump off stuff and onto other stuff

If your goal is to simply be stronger and develop some gymnastic base then your plan looks okay except I would skip the parkour. It works best with one main goal and maybe one sub-goal. You're in danger of spreading yourself too thin and not accomplishing anything.
    My goal is to get strong FOR parkour (give or take, being strong in my environment). Given that I think this routine fairly well matches up with my goals
    I don't see how I'd be spreading myself too thin...the whole deal with 5/3/1 is slow and steady progress, while still being able to do heavy work outside of the routine. I don't have a set goal of getting a planche or front lever any time soon, flipping around on rings, whatever...just get strong and run around like an idiot

Either way...I was really just looking for advice on balancing out that routine and/or do you think that using those gymanstic movements as assistance would provide enough stimulation to drive up the main lifts.