starting strength gym

Thread: Sumo Deadlifts on Starting Strength?

Default Sumo Deadlifts on Starting Strength?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Im about to get off a cut, during which period i used Wendler's 5/3/1. I ran Stronglifts before it for 6 months and during that time i discovered Starting strength

My Maxes Atm are
    300lb Squat
    160 bench
    135 Ohp
    350 Dead (sumo)
    175 Clean (i prolly have bad form here)
    at 160lb bodyweight
    And since i have gotten down to a reasonable bodyfat id like to begin running Starting Strength Advanced novice for a bit then switch over to TM when progress begins to stall

But i was wondering if anyone had experience running SS with sumo deadlifts i was afraid that it might be a bit too much on my hips and sumos are also more legs than conventional possibly slowing the progress on my squat? i dont know

btw im switching to sumo because i have been unable to deadlift any reasonable weight without rounding my back(sumo looks much better) and my sumo deadlift is higher by 50 lbs

You need to learn how to deadlift correctly. This is my advice. You also need to get out of the mindset of "programming hopping" all the time. Strength programs EVOLVE over time, we don't just go from one spreadsheet to the next

I understand that you would want me to learn the proper conventional but at the moment id really just like to take a break from it and focus on sumo for a bit

I also dont understand how im program hopping, Stronglifts is just a knockoff of the superior program that is SS and isnt texas method (using intensity and volume days) the next step from just the basic 3x5 in SS. The only way i can see your point is me using wendlers for my cut which i did btw so that i could add running after my workouts

Quote Originally Posted by Vontom View Post
    I understand that you would want me to learn the proper conventional but at the moment id really just like to take a break from it and focus on sumo for a bit

I also dont understand how im program hopping, Stronglifts is just a knockoff of the superior program that is SS and isnt texas method (using intensity and volume days) the next step from just the basic 3x5 in SS. The only way i can see your point is me using wendlers for my cut which i did btw so that i could add running after my workouts
    Hmm but if you know you want to do sumo deadlifts and don't want to take his advice, what are you asking?

Well you've 'done' SL, 5/3/1 now want to do the advanced novice (have you tried the regular novice?) with sumo deadlifts and are already planning on doing the texas method. Just do the novice program and see how far you can get

Thank you Kregna. I meant to respond to this post......but I forgot.

I bet you could sack up and set up properly with a conventional stance, unless you're like 6'5 and 70% legs. A coach would be optimal, a form check would help. I just don't see any practical benefit of Sumo deadlifts unless you're FORCED to use it. It's a half squat with the bar in your hands and it cuts off ROM. You definitely want your lower back strong with the conventional.

I wanted to know if it could cause problems with the program basically ... I like the added volume for pullups/chins on the advanced novice variation btw and doing hypers on those days would seem to keep by back strong, although i can say that everything including my lower back is worked well doing sumos

Btw SL is basically the original SS from how i see, just a knockoff as i said

starting strength coach development program
    Asks question, doesn't receive response he wants, argues with someone with far more
    Experience. Show some humility, dude.