starting strength gym
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified Greyskull LP for Powerlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerDaClean View Post
    I'm not asking if I should implement paused safety squat bar front squats and zercher close grip decline bench presses. Something simple, like joker sets or similar. again, someone already recommended over warm ups.
    I don't think you will need that starting out. I would modify the program to make it more like the original, so you squat/bench 2x per week.

*Tom teaching young powerdaclean about the LBBS... or is he?

meh im good jeff. I just wont change anything i guess. thanks for the help.

I'm not asking if I should implement paused safety squat bar front squats and zercher close grip decline bench presses. Something simple, like joker sets or similar. again, someone already recommended over warm ups.
    you dont need all that stuff as a novice. Being a novice is not a put down. It just means you can progress quickly with simple programming. Complexity for its own sake it a waste of time when you can get strong faster using simple methods.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ice_you_do&cr=

Workout A
    Bench Press 2x5, 1x5+ --> 2x3, 1x3+
    Squat 2x5, 1x5+ --> 2x3, 1x3+

Workout B
    Bench Press 2x5, 1x5+ --> 2x3, 1x3+
    Deadlift 1x5+, SLDL 1x10 --> 1x3+, SLDL 1x8

--> means after you cant hit PRs with 5's, transition to 3's

I'd love some opinions on this routine; I am currently using it and it's too early to tell but it seems to be working great for me.
    There is no iso exercises in this version right?

As an old timer who has been through all this crap for over 30 years, I’ll offer some advice.

1. Stop program shopping and hopping. You need basic work - period. Buy PPST and study the shit out of it.
    2. Get coaching. I can guarantee that your form is probably dogshit.
    3. Stop worrying about entering some shit meet to buy a trophy.
    4. Don’t come on the forum and try to debate programming when you’re a newb. You’re embarrassing yourself.
    5. Eat damnit!

By the time you’re squatting and deadlifting 2.5 times bodyweight, you’ll have a clue.

Yikes was I a hardheaded numbskull 15 year old back in 2014. I figure I'd resurrect this dead ass thread and let y'all know what's up.

If anyone who remembers me cares, I never really stopped program hopping and program building because that's just how I am, but I did make good progress as I changed from SS-style routines to bodybuilding-style routines with a strength emphasis - all I really needed was a metric fuckton more volume for upper body. Also, I became a wrestler my senior year of high school and in my first year of university I became a rugby player (hooker).

Progress wise, I now bench 265lbs paused and strict press 160lbs at 160lbs, 5'6 now. I don't squat or deadlift at all anymore because they really stopped being a priority for me (heresy!) but when I need to impress somebody for whatever reason I can rep out 265 on highbar squats and 315 on deadlifts for like 8-10 reps.

I just want to apologize for not listening to folks here who genuinely tried to help me as I repeatedly asked idiotic questions and responded to them like a ignorant child who thought he knew what was right. When you're a bright 15 year old kid who is depressed and socially anxious and started clinging to lifting religiously as a way to remedy his self-esteem issues you tend to be a little hard to interact with.

Very entertaining thread! It makes me want to go back and smack the 15 year old version of myself upside the head (no offence meant here, find me a kid who’s not an idiot in some way at 15). What caught me here is no one told you that at 140 lbs that any program would work if you ate more. Also as an aside, I’d seriously think of doing squats again unless you walk on your arms. EVERYTHING in life is easier with a stronger squat ��

Eating more worked but eating more and doing higher reps of OHP and bench and high volume dips, chinups, curls, lateral raises, reverse flyes, pushdowns and rows worked the most.

I think training legs is great but at the same time, I want the most jackedest upper body, and the latter takes higher priority for me and is easier to accomplish without intense lower body work.

I’m not looking for advice, and I’m way past asking for permission. I put time under the bar and figured out what I really wanted from it, and started doing what needed to be done to get what I want.

Ah yes, now that you are 19, you got it all figured out. LOL
    I hope the wind doesn't blow too hard, don't wan't you tipping over.

Good luck buddy.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 15, 5'3, 140lbs.

SLDL are just for a bit extra lower body volume as 1 set of deadlifts does little to drive progress for me. .
    All due respect mate, why are you asking on here, if you seem to have all the answers already, and to give them as rebuttal once somebody gives there opinion?

You know the opinion you're going to get on here; and that is that no, this is not optimal programming for a novice. So seems you're looking to pick a fight, and not for advice.

If you were looking for advice you would listen to the responses you got here.

With regards to "extra lower body volume because you don't see progress with only one set".. is that actually something tru based on your own training? What's your deadlift at? What program did you run, and where did it stall? Sounds more like something you just heard someone else say about SS, and you claiming it applies to you, but haven't actually proven that.

because, if you had tried SS, you would know that without question the deadlift absolutely does progress at one working set every other workout, especially coupled with squatting three times per week.

Anyway, your program is just fine.. but your reasoning for periodization, for "more leg volume", and the other things you mentioned, are not necessary for a novice, according to the observed experience of all the coaches in here. You know that, and you know that's what they're going to say, so why are you asking? Sure you will still be able to see good progress on this program too, but you know everyone's going to tell you that it's not optimal..

Anyway, what are your lifts? What's your evidence that you "can't progress" with only one working set of deadlift? I've seen many many people say that, and pretend it was based on personal experience, but relaly they just enjoyed sculpting and discussing programs on the internet but had never actually stuck with one for any period of time,. Sounds like something someone would say who hadn't actually tried it.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast