starting strength gym
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified Greyskull LP for Powerlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There are better programs than Numbskull, seek and you shall find...

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDaClean View Post
    I'm 15, 5'3, 140lbs.

I am a novice, so what? I don't need to squat 3x a week. http://forcexdist.com/2014/12/07/wha...y-as-a-novice/

SLDL are just for a bit extra lower body volume as 1 set of deadlifts does little to drive progress for me. I don't even count it as an assistance lift, I count it as doing lighter deadlifts with a slight form tweak.

Benching 3x a week is nothing, I always make great gains like that. The press contributes nothing to my total, so why would I need to do it when I have no use for it yet?

The whole point of this routine is to get strong with lighter weights, then 5's, then when that doesn't work, get strong with 3's. It's linear periodization coupled with linear progression.

SS is not a powerlifting routine. Therefore, why would I do it? http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/starting-strength/

The whole point of 3x a week benching, 1.5x a week squatting and 1.5x a week deadlifting is to reduce the lower body hogging all the stimulus and to be able to grow into more frequency. When I am no longer a novice, I want to run Mike Tuscherer's Generalized Intermediate Program. I will have to grow into 4x a week benching, 3x a week squatting and 2x a week deadlifting. Increasing frequency = increasing stimulus.
    seems like you already know what to do. why are you asking?

Meshuggah: Oh, I'm sure. But it's not about doing what is 100% optimal. It's about running and finishing a routine you 100% believe in.

Keith: I just wanted some opinions about the routine. Meshuggah is doing that well. You, on the other hand, are simply disregarding what I'm using and trying to shove SS down my throat.
    Last edited by PowerDaClean; 12-20-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Meshuggah: Oh, I'm sure. But it's not about doing what is 100% optimal. It's about running and finishing a routine you 100% believe in.

Keith: I just wanted some opinions about the routine. Meshuggah is doing that well. You, on the other hand, are simply disregarding what I'm using and trying to shove SS down my throat.
    I am not sure about shoving anything down your throat. You can do whatever you want. You are on the starting strength site. I am not sure why would expect a different answer than do the program.

maybe someone else will tell you something different.

DTP is not always the answer one is looking for, especially if they asked something different than "should I DTP or get fuckarounditis?"
    Last edited by PowerDaClean; 12-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.

if you think that Meshuggha has provided you with a more thoughtful response than I have than, well, we must be living in different realities.

I think you are asking "should I do the program or should I just fuck around because I read some guys on the internet and here are the links."

It is fuckarounditis because you have a bunch of deadlift assistance work instead of squatting 3 times a week. Do you see why this is not only sub optimal but undermines your goals?

You dont need deadlift assistance work as a novice. Every time you deadlift for quite a while you can add weight to the bar. Adding in unnecessary assistance will interfere with that and make it harder to progress when you do actually need the assistance work.

If you want to be a powerlifter than why wouldnt you squat 3 times a week and add weight to the bar for as long as you can? Your not going to squat 3 times a week but your going to bench 3 times a week?

On powerliftingtowin Tom analyzed the greyskull LP not the program you wrote out above which will have you only squatting once a week every other week.

Watch this interview with Mike tuchscherer. Pay special attention at the 38 minute mark where he talks about the pitfalls of novices using more advanced methods (like a bunch of deadlifft assistance)

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...ke_tuchscherer

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    if you think that Meshuggha has provided you with a more thoughtful response than I have than, well, we must be living in different realities.

I think you are asking "should I do the program or should I just fuck around because I read some guys on the internet and here are the links."

It is fuckarounditis because you have a bunch of deadlift assistance work instead of squatting 3 times a week. Do you see why this is not only sub optimal but undermines your goals?

You dont need deadlift assistance work as a novice. Every time you deadlift for quite a while you can add weight to the bar. Adding in unnecessary assistance will interfere with that and make it harder to progress when you do actually need the assistance work.

If you want to be a powerlifter than why wouldnt you squat 3 times a week and add weight to the bar for as long as you can? Your not going to squat 3 times a week but your going to bench 3 times a week?

On powerliftingtowin Tom analyzed the greyskull LP not the program you wrote out above which will have you only squatting once a week every other week.

Watch this interview with Mike tuchscherer. Pay special attention at the 38 minute mark where he talks about the pitfalls of novices using more advanced methods (like a bunch of deadlifft assistance)

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...ke_tuchscherer
    I didn't know one set of SLDL counts as a bunch of deadlift assistance. Like I said, I don't count even count it as assistance, I count it as more deadlifting. Tell you what, I'll drop the "SLDL" and simply do a "light set of deadlifts" after my heavy set.

I don't need to squat 3x a week. Reasoning behind the necessity of this for a novice is purely anecdotal, like the necessity of the press.

I stall a lot quicker if I squat 3x a week, or if I continue doing it I end up screwing up my form somehow. And when that happens, I get demotivated. I bench 3x a week because I can handle that frequency. I've used Tom's/Izzy's novice program and my bench was the only lift that didn't stall early for me.

I alternate squat and deadlift because it works that way for me.

I've watched a lot of Mike's stuff. I don't think I'm going into a pitfall by simply doing one light, higher rep deadlift set after my heavy set.
    Last edited by PowerDaClean; 12-20-2014 at 01:35 PM.

One thing that needs to pointed out is that doing more than 5 reps will not accomplish any more than the reps of 5 do for a novice. Drop the extra sets and stick with 3 sets of 5. When you get to an intermediate level there are reasons to do different rep ranges, but not for a novice (with the exceptions of females and older people).

So 2x5, 1x5+ is bullshit?

Okay dude...

starting strength coach development program
    As a novice, especially a 15 year old male novice, you get all the stimulus you need from 3x5. Doing any more reps or sets is just more work for no additional benefit. You either get the stimulus or you don't. You don't get more stimulus from more work in this context.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast