starting strength gym
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified Greyskull LP for Powerlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The whole point of this is to start with a lower weight so you can do higher reps on the last set, which drives the progress for strength and hypertrophy purposes. Over a bit of a long time, the volume drops and the intensity rises when you microload the upper body lifts and limit yourself to 5lb jumps for lower body and keep trying to push hard on the last set. And when you stall, you go back to higher reps, you hit a rep PR so you don't feel so pointlessly weak deloading, and that strength you gained with higher reps allows you to blast through your stalled previous weights. It's basically a long term peaking plan for novices who are a bit advanced.

George explains it a little here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAv7...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by PowerDaClean; 12-20-2014 at 03:15 PM.

You're the one chasing fools gold. Proceed.

Trust me, too many choices lead to confusion. Stick to the basics and you will do well.

Just get PPST3, read it through, then design your own LP, if you want to. Chasing programs avails you nothing if you feel like asking for opinions.

I feel like you're more preoccupied with owning your own optimal program than you are putting in the hard work to get strong. To be clear, the latter should be your primary goal, not the former.

I also think you're looking a little too narrowly at your goals. At your present state, it may not help you to be über-specific about your goals, because novices can improve multiple modalities simultaneously. This is a central premise of the Starting Strength method - for example, for an early stage novice, squatting 3x a week is enough to become accustomed to the growing volume, and recovery improves on a week-to-week basis even though the weights go up.

What do you really gain in the long term by substituting more bench press volume for the overhead press? Is a faster 20 lbs on your bench press worth risking shoulder injury by neglecting overall shoulder and upper back development that comes with the overhead press? Likewise, what do you gain from neglecting the squat and increasing deadlift volume, when the squat has markedly better carryover to the deadlift than the deadlift does to the squat?

Honestly, what and how you eat is probably more important than the minutiae of "optimal" programming for a powerlifter in the novice phase. Work hard in the gym, and put your extra creative energies into schoolwork.

You are 15 and 140 pounds and I'm sure you're lifts aren't anything spectacular.

Why do you ask for advice when you obviously already have your answers.

You say all you need is to believe, yet, you must not believe in your program if your asking for advice on the forum of a program you seem to dislike.

Why don't you follow George's advice for a couple months and see how far considerable work in the 10-20 range specifically helps powerlifting (remember that powerlifting is tested with 1rm....in case you forgot). Then come back and tell US how well it worked out for you.

You should seek out the anecdotes of people with a significant disparity between their bench & ohp/row. Not a happy story.

Chris: Trust me, I am still putting in the hard work. I just have a lot of freetime right now since it's winter break.

Levon: Don't be ridiculous, man lol. The progression is a bit autoregulated, so if you are getting over 10 reps on the last set, you take a double jump (2.5 x 2 = 5lbs) It's meant to be taken a bit slower to ensure long term progress, but it's fast enough progression for a novice. Also, I keep adding weight until I fail with 3's, so I'm not only spending time in a slighty higher rep range.

The only reason I posted the routine on this forum is to get some little nitpicky suggestions for changes if any were needed, but then you guys are telling me the entire things wrong and that's why I'm getting a little ticked off.

And btw, I have no beef with "the program". It's just that I don't like how it keeps getting recommended to everybody regardless of their goals. I see this all the time on BB.com, a kid like me asks whats the best routine for aesthetics or powerlifting or whatever and ppl tell them SS. wtf Do the program that's appropriate for your goals, damn it.

John: I do chinups everyday to balance out pressing and pulling for shoulder health as a secondary effect. I don't feel the need to sacrifice bench progress for a lift that doesn't even contribute to my total, regardless of shoulder health as that's not something I have issues with. I use to be all about ohp/row for shoulder health but then I went to powerliftingtowin.com and everything made more sense
    Last edited by PowerDaClean; 12-21-2014 at 09:54 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    If you want to tweak your Greyskull program you should post it here. If you want to talk about which program is better I'm all for the debate, but at least be honest about it and start with the premise you're here to debate.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast