• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Workout A
    Bench Press 2x5, 1x5+ --> 2x3, 1x3+
    Squat 2x5, 1x5+ --> 2x3, 1x3+

Workout B
    Deadlift 1x5+, SLDL 1x10 --> 1x3+, SLDL 1x8

--> means after you cant hit PRs with 5's, transition to 3's

I'd love some opinions on this routine; I am currently using it and it's too early to tell but it seems to be working great for me.

The regular GSLP worked great for me, but I never tried it.

Izzy analyzed the regular program as well at his site and loved it. http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/greyskull-lp/

And since one of his issues was specificity in regards to powerlifting, this powerlifting version might even be better. But again, I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure. Either way, if it's working for you, keep going with it.

Personally I would do close grips or press on one day a week to get some more tricep work, and take a break from heavy benching.

Briks: Hey, I based this routine after what I read in that article, I frequently visit that site. Good stuff.

I personally like how Greyskull incorporates a bit of linear periodization coupled with linear progression when followed correctly; I also like how Johnny amplifies that by allowing you to go into even lower reps once you can't PR with 5's anymore.

kel: I feel like my bench is still too weak to even think about alternating it with another lift. I was recommended to alternate with close grip/ohp or one day a week once bench stalls after 3's.

This is the routine I plan to use to break the USPF record for the 148 class in the sub junior division. #850 total
    Last edited by PowerDaClean; 12-19-2014 at 09:12 PM.

A program by someone named Johnny Pain? Lol.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 12-19-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Maybe John Sheaffer sounds more appealing?

Nope. I'm not interested in the Numbskull program.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 12-20-2014 at 08:58 AM.

No one was recommending it to you.

I asked for opinions on this routine, maybe you could play devil's advocate or something just to see some flaws with the routine?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDaClean View Post
    Workout A
    Squat 2x5, 1x5+ --> 2x3, 1x3+

Workout B
    Deadlift 1x5+, SLDL 1x10 --> 1x3+, SLDL 1x8

--> means after you cant hit PRs with 5's, transition to 3's

I'd love some opinions on this routine; I am currently using it and it's too early to tell but it seems to be working great for me.
    how old are you, how tall, what do you weigh?

Are you a novice? If so, you should squat 3 times a week and add weight to the bar every time. If you are a novice you dont need all the deadlifft assistance exercises. Save them for later.

I dont know about benching 3 times a week. I bench on monday and friday and press on wed. that is what I would suggest if you want to do a powerlifting meet.
    If you are a novice you won't need to use 3s for a while. Save them. Got strong with 5s first.

If I were you I would do SS. But that is why I post here and not at JohnnyPain Live.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 15, 5'3, 140lbs.

I am a novice, so what? I don't need to squat 3x a week. http://forcexdist.com/2014/12/07/wha...y-as-a-novice/

SLDL are just for a bit extra lower body volume as 1 set of deadlifts does little to drive progress for me. I don't even count it as an assistance lift, I count it as doing lighter deadlifts with a slight form tweak.

Benching 3x a week is nothing, I always make great gains like that. The press contributes nothing to my total, so why would I need to do it when I have no use for it yet?

The whole point of this routine is to get strong with lighter weights, then 5's, then when that doesn't work, get strong with 3's. It's linear periodization coupled with linear progression.

SS is not a powerlifting routine. Therefore, why would I do it? http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/starting-strength/

The whole point of 3x a week benching, 1.5x a week squatting and 1.5x a week deadlifting is to reduce the lower body hogging all the stimulus and to be able to grow into more frequency. When I am no longer a novice, I want to run Mike Tuscherer's Generalized Intermediate Program. I will have to grow into 4x a week benching, 3x a week squatting and 2x a week deadlifting. Increasing frequency = increasing stimulus.
    Last edited by PowerDaClean; 12-20-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast