starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: novice curl programming question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just noticed that fully half the people responding to this thread about curls are from NJ.

GTL bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianInTraining View Post
    not because I want BIG BICEPS BRO
    Why would you not? Oh wait, crap... Adam's probably got bigger guns than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Why would you not? Oh wait, crap... Adam's probably got bigger guns than I do.
    Four-f*ckin-teens, baby. I commanded them to grow. Bangin' arms every day.

I know I'm quite late to this thread, but as I stumbled on it late, others may too so I feel like commenting anyway to mention one major, relevant thing no one said.

At 5'11" and 210 lbs with novice strength levels, getting strong enough to do a single chin up is going to take a very long time at that body weight, probably on the order of a year. If your body fat percentage is in the low end of the athletic range, then getting strong enough to do a single chin up only takes a few weeks or maybe two months max and the suggestion of doing body weight negatives is probably good, but my SWAG is that every pound of body weight you carry on top of that low body fat weight probably requires approximately an extra week of training to get strong enough to do a full body weight chinup.

Chinups involve elbow flexion and shoulder extension, so the major muscle groups involved in doing them are going to be biceps and lats. Given that the lats are the bigger muscle group, you probably want to train them first with things like assisted chinups and lat pulldowns, then do some biceps work. You can probably get good results just doing standard hypertrophy training work with 3 sets of 8-12 reps taken to failure or near failure once or twice a week for 1-2 exercises for lats and 1-2 exercises for biceps towards the end of your workout after doing the big compound movements.

Also worth noting, once you are strong enough to do one chinup, you will need significant additional strength on top of that to be able to use chinups as a useful exercise in your training. A weight you can do for 3 reps is approximately 90% of your 1RM so to be able to do 3 chinups at a body weight of 210 you probably need to be strong enough to do a single chinup at a body weight of around 230 which means there will be many more weeks or months of training required after you are able to do a single chinup before they can actually be a useful, significant part of your training.

Why would you resurrect (RIP KOTJ) a nearly 3 year old thread to give bad advice? Getting more chinups after you can do one is easy. Getting to 8-10 chinups from one is much easier than getting the one.

Did you actually register an account just to post that?

I'm with hamburgerfan. And I'd add that if you're taking a year to build up to one chinup, you're probably doing something, or a lot of things, wrong. With the obvious exceptions of obese people, old guys with crap shoulders, etc.

Also, as an anecdote, I gained approximately 40 pounds since starting Starting Strength. . . and I can still do the 2 chin-ups that I was able to do when I started. I don't train chins. This implies that I got 40 pounds stronger on my chins without doing a damn thing other than squat, press, bench, and deadlift. This took place over 5 months. So no, it really shouldn't take a year especially if you modify training with chins in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    Also, as an anecdote, I gained approximately 40 pounds since starting Starting Strength. . . and I can still do the 2 chin-ups that I was able to do when I started. I don't train chins. This implies that I got 40 pounds stronger on my chins without doing a damn thing other than squat, press, bench, and deadlift. This took place over 5 months. So no, it really shouldn't take a year especially if you modify training with chins in mind.
    Why don't you train chins?

starting strength coach development program
    Because I deadlift 3 times per week instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast