starting strength gym

Thread: Split routine due to lack of time

Default Split routine due to lack of time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    50yo, male, novice.

When I started SS a few months ago, I did a MWF schedule, and it worked well for a while. But due to bad recovery I had to switch to two rest days between each workout, and my recovery was far better.

But now I need more rest between sets, so each workout last almost 1,5 - 2 hours including warm up and rest between sets. My family situation is a bit busy, so that is too long.

I consider changing the routine to do squat and a press exercise on day 1, deadlift on day 2 and rest on day 3, and then repeat. My workouts will then be shorter, and that fits my situation better. And I will still have two days between each squat workout and two days between each deadlift workout.

But I will only have one day of complete rest in this schedule. Will this have a negative effect on recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by Krsand View Post
    50yo, male, novice.

When I started SS a few months ago, I did a MWF schedule, and it worked well for a while. But due to bad recovery I had to switch to two rest days between each workout, and my recovery was far better.

But now I need more rest between sets, so each workout last almost 1,5 - 2 hours including warm up and rest between sets. My family situation is a bit busy, so that is too long.

I consider changing the routine to do squat and a press exercise on day 1, deadlift on day 2 and rest on day 3, and then repeat. My workouts will then be shorter, and that fits my situation better. And I will still have two days between each squat workout and two days between each deadlift workout.

But I will only have one day of complete rest in this schedule. Will this have a negative effect on recovery?
    Might work for a while to never have 2 days off, but the problem will be trying to deadlift anything heavy the day after squatting. I'd do something like this:

Day A: Press/Bench + Assistance
    Day B: Squat/Squat/Deadlift + Assistance
    Day C: Rest

So It would go Press, Squat, Rest, Bench, Squat, Rest, Press, Deadlift, Rest, Bench, Squat, Rest, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Might work for a while to never have 2 days off, but the problem will be trying to deadlift anything heavy the day after squatting. I'd do something like this:

Day A: Press/Bench + Assistance
    Day B: Squat/Squat/Deadlift + Assistance
    Day C: Rest

So It would go Press, Squat, Rest, Bench, Squat, Rest, Press, Deadlift, Rest, Bench, Squat, Rest, etc...
    Thanks a lot, Adam, I will try this. My gut feeling is that it will work well. It allows for both shorter workouts and sufficient recovery. The progress will probably be a little slower, but that is no problem. I'm not preparing for any competition, and as long as there is any progress at all, I am content.

Thanks also for responding so quickly, just a few minutes from my post to your reply . Amazing.

I adjusted my schedule so I can fit most of it in during the lunch hour, we have an onsite gym with a rack.

Sunday - Squat 5x5
    Monday - Bench 5x5
    Tuesday - Deadlift 1x5 + backoff
    Wednesday - Off
    Thursday - Bench 5x5 during lunch, Squat 4x5 after work

Every other Thursday I will do some sort of intensity variation + backoffs
    Has been working well for me. Used to do light pressing and pull ups on Wednesday, but getting overuse tendinitis in my elbows. Will add it back in when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Krsand View Post
    50yo, male, novice.

Could you train four days a week?

Monday: Bench
    Tuesday: Squat
    Thursday: Press
    Friday: Deadlift

This works well for lots of folks that are strapped for time.