Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smolov Jr. for Bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sunday 7/31/2016
    W1 D4(postponed from yesterday)

Rx=85%(250)x3x10

250x3x7 Left shoulder impinging oddly or something. Really affecting my groove, bar speed, and power production. At this intensity, I just didn't feel comfortable pushing things any further, so I decided to drop a few pounds and get the rest of the sets in without hurting something.
    240x3,3,5 because I could.

I think a large part of yesterday's issue was being pretty wiped out from the previous days volume deadlifts.

On to week two, which will start Tuesday due to the extra day I had to take for recovery this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    Sunday 7/31/2016
    W1 D4(postponed from yesterday)

Rx=85%(250)x3x10

250x3x7 Left shoulder impinging oddly or something. Really affecting my groove, bar speed, and power production. At this intensity, I just didn't feel comfortable pushing things any further, so I decided to drop a few pounds and get the rest of the sets in without hurting something.
    240x3,3,5 because I could.

I think a large part of yesterday's issue was being pretty wiped out from the previous days volume deadlifts.

On to week two, which will start Tuesday due to the extra day I had to take for recovery this week.
    One week in and you're already feeling beaten down? Don't get injured..

Quote Originally Posted by DeriHughes View Post
    One week in and you're already feeling beaten down? Don't get injured..
    Well, I'm probably not the ideal candidate for this program, but I feel like a couple of minor concessions(extra day for recovery, small weight drop for a few sets) will keep me healthy and still get the results the program is supposed to give. I'm actually pleased with how the first week went considering:
    45 y.o.
    60 hour work week
    15 hours on school work
    Trained squat, bench, and deadlift.

I am most worried about day 4 this week as far as being able to complete.

Tuesday 8/2/2016

Scheduled day for start of week 2 day 1.
    Rx=215x6x6(70%+10 lbs)
    45x20x2
    135x8
    185x0

Taking another day for recovery. I did not feel safe attempting today's work. Will these extra rest day's negatively impact my results? I'm not sure, but staying healthy is my top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    Taking another day for recovery. I did not feel safe attempting today's work. Will these extra rest day's negatively impact my results? I'm not sure, but staying healthy is my top priority.
    Smolov Jr. is an easier version of the base cycle in the full 13-week cycle. Full Smolov prescribes a 2 week intro cycle to acclimate the body to heavy + high frequency - did you do this, or similar volume beforehand? I'd take a rest day after every bench session (3.5 times per week), so that 8x4 and 10x3 on consecutive days doesn't put you out for more than 48 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Chris View Post
    Smolov Jr. is an easier version of the base cycle in the full 13-week cycle. Full Smolov prescribes a 2 week intro cycle to acclimate the body to heavy + high frequency - did you do this, or similar volume beforehand? I'd take a rest day after every bench session (3.5 times per week), so that 8x4 and 10x3 on consecutive days doesn't put you out for more than 48 hours.
    I did not do any special preparation before starting the program, although my overall bench and press weekly volume has been reasonably high for the last few months. In week 1, days 1 and 2 back to back didn't seem to be an issue. I don't foresee the need to take any extended recovery periods, although I am taking two days off(instead of 1) before starting week 2. The 8x4 and 10x3 did seem tougher to handle. I think part of the issue is that I have done very little rep work below the 5 rep range. So a boatload of triples was pretty tough as I have never done multiple sets at that intensity level. Needed a lift off as well(for 10x3) since unracking 85% ten times is pretty tiresome.

you have inspired me to run a dual smolov for bench and squat in the not to distant future...i will do three workouts a week on both movements....i will probably include some form of deadlifting and pressing on a day as well....will post the results in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    you have inspired me to run a dual smolov for bench and squat in the not to distant future...i will do three workouts a week on both movements....i will probably include some form of deadlifting and pressing on a day as well....will post the results in this thread
    I'm tempted to run it on bench. I might explode.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I'm tempted to run it on bench. I might explode.
    You can always run the Mastodon Bench Program. Weekly LP (+5 lbs/week) of 12 sets of 4 reps starting at like 80-85% 1rm, with heavy triples and doubles a day after all that volume. Drink lots of bourbon and beer for recovery.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    You can always run the Mastodon Bench Program. Weekly LP (+5 lbs/week) of 12 sets of 4 reps starting at like 80-85% 1rm, with heavy triples and doubles a day after all that volume. Drink lots of bourbon and beer for recovery.
    I respect your strength, sir, but this program is batshit crazy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast