starting strength gym

Thread: Judo / LP for Master's Lifter

Default Judo / LP for Master's Lifter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Andy...

I'm in my mid-40s and am resuming Judo training after a 10 year hiatus.

If I train (Judo) Thursday evening and Saturday afternoon, what would be the best days to perform strength training/prowler work? My afternoons are mostly free so frequency would not be an issue (I would not be stuck to just 2 strength training sessions per week).

I know you've answered this question for the younger set numerous times, but I couldn't find where you answered it for an older trainer.

Rough stats are 45 y/o, 185 lbs, 5'7"...I'm resuming LP after getting some coaching from our local SS coach so I've essentially 'reset' and plan to be on LP for at least another 3-4 months before potentially looking at modifying programming.

What type of stuff are you doing in Judo practice? Is it limited to drilling/technique work/rolling, or do you have to do a bunch of conditioning/calisthenics? (i.e. push ups, squats, lunges, etc, etc)

Not much in terms of conditioning/calisthenics...more or less traditional warm up/cool down stuff. Any conditioning we do is not overly taxing by any means...but I'm a fairly fit guy.

The rest of the class is pretty basic: rolling, standup drills, mat drills and the occasional randori (sparring). Sometimes some light self defense stuff at the end (traditional ju-jistu joint locks, etc).

I guess I'd probably just run the program as is until it proves that you cannot. For instance, if Friday's workout is always a shit-show, then maybe we modify that session or rearrange the schedule. Every few weeks if you need to take a day off and just train twice that week, that is fine. If the 3x/week full body split doesn't work, then maybe we go to 4 shorter sessions per week and see if that helps you manage the workload better.