starting strength gym

Thread: Ditching power clean for more dead lifts in novice programming...

Default Ditching power clean for more dead lifts in novice programming...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In an effort to finally get my dead lift up I've decide to drop power cleans, for now, and just do dead lifts. I'm wondering if leaving out cleans for a while (3-6 months) is the thing to do, or are cleans that important to strength training that I should keep doing them?

Currently I'm following the SS Novice programming except I'm only working out twice per week max (3-5 days between workouts). My dead lift is 305 currently and it's been kind of stagnant (or at least very difficult relative to other lifts). My feeling is that I'm not dead lifting enough given my training "schedule" and also dead lifting every other workout leaving me deadlifting once every 7-10 days.

My squat is still going up easily at 5 lbs. each session, my presses are moving up 2lbs each session.

Recent training weights:

Squat 305x5x3
    BP 220x3x3
    OP 142x3x3
    PC 165x3x5
    DL 300x5x1

6'6" - 254 lb 43 year old male

See if a set of 5 twice per week gets you moving again. It probably will. My guess is that at 43 y/o and 6'6 your power cleans are pretty messy. So the likelihood that they have any carryover at all to your deads is pretty low. However, if you can baredown and get that DL up to 365x5 perhaps, then you'll PR your clean without ever even training it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    See if a set of 5 twice per week gets you moving again. It probably will. My guess is that at 43 y/o and 6'6 your power cleans are pretty messy. So the likelihood that they have any carryover at all to your deads is pretty low. However, if you can baredown and get that DL up to 365x5 perhaps, then you'll PR your clean without ever even training it.
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the input!

So when you say "power cleans are pretty messy" what exactly do you mean?

Form probably not all that great. I could be totally wrong. But if your timing/technique is off on a power clean it's going to seriously limit the poundages you can use and therefore the potential carryover to a heavy deadlift is all but negated.