starting strength gym

Thread: Am I doing it right?

Default Am I doing it right?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All. I am 43 and have been going about two months or so. I have always been relatively athletic, but I just decided to take the plunge and try to get strong before I get weak. This is kind of where I am at:

Beginning:
    5'11
    Squat 185
    Bench 130
    Dead 195
    Press 70
    P. Clean 90

Now:
    5'11
    Squat 265
    Bench 165
    Dead 325
    Press 107.5
    P. Clean 142.5
    all weights are 3x5 or 1x5 for deads. My bench lagged for a while because my grip was about four inches too wide, but that seems to be turning around. A little of the same with the press.

My question is about weight gain. For the first three weeks or so, I ate a lot but didn't gain much weight. Maybe a pound total. I did increase the amount I crapped by about 5x Now I have started to put on weight pretty quickly, maybe too quickly, and I am back to pooping like a normal person. I'm not getting any less lean, at least not disconcertingly so, and I am getting stronger faster as I put weight on faster, but I am not young, so I do want to keep this under control.

Anybody have any thoughts as to my progress, weight questions or whether this poop thing is normal?

Thanks.

Looks about right to me. I did notice pooping volume trended with how much food I ate, which I think makes sense, mass in = mass out. Whatever isn't used to make to grow comes back out. You're still probably on the smallish side for your height (for reference, I'm 5'10", 194 and could stand to gain a bit more, but getting a little fluffy, not gaining muscle mass like during novice phase &#128542.

Being a bit older it'll harder for you to gain lean mass without extra fat, but just keep an eye on what you're eating and if you are starting to get too far reel it in a bit. Check out Barbell Medicine's To Be a Beast article on some good info for nutrition.

Keep up the good work, looks like pretty good progress to me.

Thanks. One other general question is that my weight tends to gain at a significant pace during the six days of one day on one day off. Then on my second rest day I tend to give up a lot of water and lose a bit of weight. My assumption is that this has something to do with recovery needs as my eating remains unchanged. Then it starts again when I start to work out day one of the next week. Does this make any sense?