starting strength gym
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Density Block Experiment of 2017

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    I'm confused on how heavy to load these blocks. I've been experimenting with EMOM density blocks on press and chins. I think I've been going to light. I'm getting around 90 reps on chins and 60 on press in roughly 15-18 minutes. I don't think it was heavy enough to drive much progress.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.
    I don't know about the longer blocks (15-18) as you mention, but if you are sticking with it for an extended length of time, with progression, the problem of loading will take care of itself.

Stanley recommends increasing by 5lbs / 5% (whichever is smaller) once you can do 20% more reps. If it is light enough, you might be able to earn an increase every other session. Or it might take 6 sessions to get the 20% more. That is just one progression method.

In your case, I would increase by 5lbs once you reach 60 reps in 15 minutes. You will reach a point where you get less than 60, and will have to work to earn your increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    built able to withstand a pair of toddlers
    I mean, I understand these words individually, but I cannot grok the sentence. Are you implying that it's possible to build something that can withstand multiple toddlers?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Nelson View Post
    I mean, I understand these words individually, but I cannot grok the sentence. Are you implying that it's possible to build something that can withstand multiple toddlers?
    Apparently KNIPEX managed to build a set of pliers that can withstand multiple toddlers. Oh wait, wrong thread...

In the last 8 weeks I've been doing density blocks on every other press and bench workout. The other workout I work up to 3 doubles at ~88 -90% then 1 set of 5 at ~85 ish then 1 set to failure of about 10 reps at 90 % of the set of 5. I've been able to move through 6 month plateaus immediately and am still increasing.

I do my density block as a blend of yours. For example on my last press session I did 150 for 10 then 145 for 8 then 140 for 8 then 135 for amarp. The first 28 reps took 11 mins doing 2s and 3s and I took 90 seconds rest before doing the final set which was 4 at 135. The last set is to assure total exhaustion. I'll repeat again until I hit 10 , 10 and 10 in under 12 mins then add 5 pounds and rebaseline in 12 mins. Thr next press session is simply taking triples to my max using micro plates. The last set is typically a single or double by design.

I lift every third day and alternate bench and press so there is 6 days between press session and 12 days between density blocks. On my bench days I do 1 set of 5 presses at the end of my workout to stave off detraining creep. My bench routine is similar set up but on non bench days I do a few sets of dumbbell inclined bench presses as an assistance and to avoid detraining.

And I always track the number of reps above 80% of my 1 rep max , even if they are part of my warm up. When I'm feeling too beat up I can usually correlate it to my 80% total reps on my last workout. Interestingly my squat has a much lower tolerance to volume above 80 than my other lifts. This took me a few years to decipher and my squat and my whole body got better when I began capping my heavy squat reps.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    I died. Shugs nailed it.

Also, since my last programming-experiment-based-on-a-thowaway-line-from-hanley didn't turn out so well, I would like a second line from him before jumping in both feet first:

John; if you believe hypertrophy blocks fuck up fast twitch bros, would you consider them potentially viable for slow twitch hos?
    I remember your weird program. My reaction to your implementation of my throw away line was "wtf is he doing?".

Regarding hypertrophy blocks...they're viable for fast people too. The fast people will get big. I just don't know many athletes who can suffer significant decreases in peak power for weeks/months at a time.

They're certainly viable for slow people. You might lose a couple cm off that...sorry, laughing...56cm vert, though. Ah, shit, still laughing.

I asked Hanley for programming advice once but I didn't follow it. Then my sister's dog died.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Nelson View Post
    If for some reason you think it is a great idea to build lego vehicles for toddlers, make sure the bricks overlap to create as much strength as possible. I can tell how shitty my designs are by the amount of times I need to rebuild something. Maybe I'm just an asshole and thrive on frustration.

On a serious note, in case anyone is wondering how one of these things works, here is my first block trying to get 30 reps.

TIME NO. REPS DONE COMMENTS
    0:00-1:35 10 (4,3,3) No worries. 10 reps in 1:35? This ain't so bad.
    3:19 16 (4,3,3,3) Slightly more challenging, but no worries - I'm halfway through, so maybe I'll be done by 7:00
    5:01 20 (^ + 2,2) WTF. That was only a double at 70%. I still have to do 10 more?
    7:16 25 (^ + 2,2,1) Ah, singles aren't so bad - I can do these.
    8:10 28 (^ + 1,1,1) WTF - only two more reps. I think I can do this.
    9:40 30 (^ + 1,1) Done.

I won't pussy-foot around. Density blocks are TOUGH. The last five minutes of the block posted above were some of the heaviest presses I've ever done. Having a decent level of conditioning helps - breathing becomes an issue, as does the willingness to do another set even though you'd rather sit on your ass and relax for a few.

But put your head down, do a couple more reps, and you're a little bit further on your way. The next thing you know, you only have a handful of reps left, or one or two left, and then you're done. And an entire press session is done in 15 minutes. More time for goofing off.

@ Hanley - a question regarding block setup. I'm going to use a 10 minute block for the 70% going forward. Is there any benefit of working to get it to a 9 minute block, or 8? Conversely, what is the negative impact of an 11 or 12 minute block?

If for some reason you think it is a great idea to build lego vehicles for toddlers, make sure the bricks overlap to create as much strength as possible. I can tell how shitty my designs are by the amount of times I need to rebuild something. Maybe I'm just an asshole and thrive on frustration.
    "Son, why did you drive your motorcycle off the table? That was a poor decision."

starting strength coach development program
    I'm going to use a 10 minute block for the 70% going forward. Is there any benefit of working to get it to a 9 minute block, or 8? Conversely, what is the negative impact of an 11 or 12 minute block?
    I see no useful benefit in squeezing a comfortable INOL value for 10 minutes into 8-9 minutes (other than saving time and/or getting a weird conditioning stimulus).

The only risk with extending the block to 12 minutes is that you might start getting stupid high tonnage (or INOL values), and, thus, exceed 48 (or even 72) hour recovery capacity. If you have a pre-determined "tonnage ceiling" or "INOL ceiling"...I think you'd be fine. Just stop once you hit it. Don't get caught up in the moment and crush 35 reps at 80%. Or something equally stupid.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast