starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Density Block Experiment of 2017

Default The Great Density Block Experiment of 2017

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is it possible to increase a main lift through the use of density blocks, with no session lasting longer than fifteen minutes?

First off, WTF is a density block?
    It is a fixed period of time, in which a trainee does as many lifts as possible, as a series of mini rep-clusters. Any number of set & rep schemes could be used within the block, but each mini cluster is nowhere near maximum (e.g., if block load is ~70%, you could only do one set of 10, but you could do quite a few sets of 2-3 reps). The idea driving the density block is that the total load is the stimulus, and the specific set & rep scheme is less important. So, if you were going to do a 5x5 set & rep scheme for a lift, using ~75% of your maximum, the density block would allow the trainee to get twenty-five solid reps done in ~7-8 minutes by using multiple sets of triples, doubles, and singles. Over time, repetitions are added, and the weight is increased once a targeted number of reps are achieved. They are a great way to get a LOT of volume in within a short amount of time.

I’ll point out up front that doing “As Many Reps as Possible” quickly invokes the image of a cat-backed CrossFitter, grinding through or “deadlifts” with garbage form. Not necessarily. There is no reason to compromise form, as the momentary thrill of getting one’s name on a white board is passing, and gets erased before the next “WOD”. Reps CAN be done quickly, with decent form. You just have to practice it.

AMRAP doesn’t exactly mean “I don’t know how many I’ll get”, either. It just needs a plan going into each block. For example, if you would like to get 30 reps in a 5 minute block, that is pretty simple – you need to get at least 6 reps per minute. That means one every 10 seconds, or a double every 20 seconds, etc. If you end up getting eight reps in each of the first two minutes – you only have to get four reps the next two minutes, which makes things a little easier. As long as the total number of reps is at least one more than the previous session – you’re WINNING!

SETUP OF EXPERIMENT
    Density blocks work really well for things like chin-ups, pull-ups, dips, and even curls. Would they work for a big lift such as the press? How about as the sole training stimulus for the press? How about as the sole training stimulus for the press, where the objective is to get to 275lbs by the end of the year? Let’s see.

Based on the discussions in the thread where the experiment was originally proposed (http://startingstrength.com/resource...ogramming.html), the concensus seems to be a program with multiple sessions per week of varying intensities, including some reps at RPE 9-10.

As a first cut, this could be two density blocks and one “strength” session. The first density block at ~70% (~30 targeted reps), a second block at ~80% (~20-24 targeted reps), and a third session with ~5 singles at ~90% (Percentages based on 1RM).

So what would progression look like?
    Once the targeted number of reps were met, the weight used for that particular block would increase by ~5lbs, and repeated until the targeted number of reps met again, and increased again, etc.

How should the density blocks be set up?
    The purpose of the density block is to do a lot of work in a short time. Since the load and targeted reps are already established (~30 reps at 70% & ~20 reps at 80%), the only remaining question is block duration. My initial approach is to determine how long it takes to do the number of reps. I was able to do 23 reps at 200lbs in 11:14, with 21 of those reps done in 10:02. So for me, a 10 minute block with the 80% load is useful. Depending on your conditioning and ability to work hard while still doing reps with decent form, it might be as low as 7-8 minutes.

Proposed setup:
    Press Session 1: 8-10 minute density block, 70% load, 30 targeted reps, increase by 5lbs once 30 reps met (or exceeded)
    Press Session 2: 8-10 minute density block, 80% load, ~20 targeted reps, increase by 5lbs once 20 reps met (or exceeded)
    Press Session 3: 5 singles at 90%, with 2 minutes rest between reps.

For definiteness, my weekly schedule is:
    M: Press Session 1, Curls
    T: Squats, Rows, Abs
    W: OFF
    R: Press Session 2, pull-ups
    F: OFF
    Sa: Press Session 3, Deadlifts, Abs
    Su: OFF / yard work

So far, this is a three-way experiment with myself, Hanley, and Eric K. Is anyone else interested? Any comments, critiques, or questions are welcomed.

I read 'Density Block' and immediately thought, Hanley!

My weekly schedule (using your session numbers) will be:

S - Press session 3
    M - Stuff, but not pressing
    T- Off
    W - Press session 2
    T - Off
    F - Press session 1

There's a whole bunch of other shit throughout the week, because I'm preparing for a meet in August, but I am both interested in trying it out and sick of not having a press PR in probably a year.

I've never done these but I'm interested in seeing how this works out for you.

I should also mention that these could be used to reach any other weight as well - the principles are the same.

I've stumbled on a nice way to notate these in my logbook that might be of some use. Prior to the session, I make a blank table in the notebook, let's say 5 rows by 5 columns. Starting with the uppermost square, I fill in the number of reps after each mini-cluster is completed. Another way is to write numbers on the page, and use tick-marks to note completion of each set. For example:

5:
    4:
    3: III
    2: IIII
    1: III

I've used both for notation, and the table method seems to work better. I can easily see how the reps progress with time, i.e., it is obvious I did 3,3,3,2,2,2,1,1,1,2 (using the example above), in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    ... I am both interested in trying it out and sick of not having a press PR in probably a year.
    Ditto. I particularly like the idea of efficiency. If you can get the same results in 15 minutes, why spend 30-40+ minutes on a lift? We'll find out the answer.

I'm excited for this. Thanks, Mr. Bass, for putting this all together.

I'm totally detrained right now, so I'll be running super basic density blocks until my e1rm is somewhere around 240 (this should take 6ish weeks). Then I'll need to switch to the more elaborate block scheme you've described.

This sounds interesting, but it's probably easier to just pull the programming straight from here: https://www.crossfit.com/workout/

Good luck dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by shib View Post
    This sounds interesting, but it's probably easier to just pull the programming straight from here: https://www.crossfit.com/workout/

Good luck dudes.
    I will punch you so hard in your nuts

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I will punch you so hard in your nuts
    But will you do it for time?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast