starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early intermediate deadlift rep scheme?

Default Early intermediate deadlift rep scheme?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm running HLM with pulls as DL/clean/RDL

Been running 1x5 on heavy days. Just stalled at 400 (only got 4 reps 3 workouts in a row)

Where do I go from here?

Sets across? Rotating rep ranges?

There are numerous options; you can reset, switch to triples (doing 2 sets or 1 heavy set and 1 back off set of 5), do multiple sets of doubles or singles, alternate Rack Pull and Halting DL as a heavy pulling movement...

However I think we can help you better if you give us a bigger picture of your training.

Have you tried to to pull the 5th rep? If so, where do you fail? What is the limiting factor?

How do your RDLs and Squats go? As far as numbers, volume, progression.

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    I'm running HLM with pulls as DL/clean/RDL

Been running 1x5 on heavy days. Just stalled at 400 (only got 4 reps 3 workouts in a row)

Where do I go from here?

Sets across? Rotating rep ranges?
    I bet if you take your next deadlift day and d0 1 set of 315 and a few sets of back extensions, you hit the 400 on the next go around.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I bet if you take your next deadlift day and d0 1 set of 315 and a few sets of back extensions, you hit the 400 on the next go around.
    That would definitely work. But only if he's on steroids.

In my experience deadlift variations tend to grow a bit stagnant, as when you try to force a weight increase, that tends to be at either the expense of ROM or strict form. Therefore I think switching out variations at times can help to both induce a novel stimulus and prevent staleness. SLDLs or SGDL would be the natural thing to switch out RDLs for, and they can also be loaded up a bit more than RDLs, so that should help if you can recover from them.

is 400 your 1rm or 5rm?

I'm liking Doug Herpburn's 8x2-3 programme

You do 8 sets of 2 at ~75% of your 1rm (or a weight you can do for a good 8 reps) once a week. The next time you do it, make a couple of those doubles into triples (e.g. 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3). Once you get all 3s, add 5kg / 10lbs and reset to 2s

It's not the fastest progress but if the alternative is deloads and stalling, I think it's a solid choice

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    That would definitely work. But only if he's on steroids.
    I think you're in LSD or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    is 400 your 1rm or 5rm?

You do 8 sets of 2 at ~75% of your 1rm (or a weight you can do for a good 8 reps) once a week. The next time you do it, make a couple of those doubles into triples (e.g. 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3). Once you get all 3s, add 5kg / 10lbs and reset to 2s

It's not the fastest progress but if the alternative is deloads and stalling, I think it's a solid choice
    I have made a great deal of progress on all my lifts using this set & rep scheme. HIGHLY recommended.

How often do you deadlift?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    is 400 your 1rm or 5rm?

395 is my 5RM. 400 is my 4RM. Yesterday I pulled 405 for a triple, and it was a grind, so it seems like I'm losing ground.

365 is my squat 5RM.

My training has been inconsistent because of summer travel, and I have (deliberately) been losing weight. It's been a frustrating 6 weeks or so of training.

Rest periods should be shorter on that program since the load is so submaximal, right?

I deadlift once a week, theoretically, plus RDLs once a week. In reality it's been more like once every 1.5-2 weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast