starting strength gym

Thread: HLM for Competition?

Default HLM for Competition?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I tried searching around. Looking for a training log (or logs) and/or any other info/examples of using the HLM template for competition. Particularly interesting in "running out" the Heavy day, the application of volume once Heavy day moves into triples, doubles and singles, how Medium day is treated once Heavy day drops into low volume, as well as the use of the template for the final stages of peaking.

If you take Rips advice intermediates don't really peak for a meet. You just set up your numbers based on what you are capable of on your heavy day. It might be a benefit to take a light week the week before the meet but otherwise the intermediate phase is basically a phase of developmental strength. Really only maybe late intermediates and advance lifters actually need to peak for a meet.

The medium day is treated the same way the whole way through because its not actually adding to the stress on that day rather it is there to have a day in there to prevent detraining. This is contrary to the Texas method though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    If you take Rips advice intermediates don't really peak for a meet. You just set up your numbers based on what you are capable of on your heavy day. It might be a benefit to take a light week the week before the meet but otherwise the intermediate phase is basically a phase of developmental strength. Really only maybe late intermediates and advance lifters actually need to peak for a meet.

The medium day is treated the same way the whole way through because its not actually adding to the stress on that day rather it is there to have a day in there to prevent detraining. This is contrary to the Texas method though.
    I was thinking in terms of how the final 4 weeks of TM for powerlifting "peaks", with low volume singles.

I've played with the idea of doing 3-5 singless on the medium day, Maybe 5-10% heavier than your 5s on heavy day. It would give a volume off load and if you stay conservative with your loading should still be "medium". Changing your medium day to this several weeks out could get you ready to hit some max singles on meet day while maintaining your heavy 5s that will drive progress. It almost transforms your HLM into a TM for a short cycle.

Buy Garage Gym Warrior program from Andy Baker. It hits almost every point you listed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    I've played with the idea of doing 3-5 singless on the medium day, Maybe 5-10% heavier than your 5s on heavy day. It would give a volume off load and if you stay conservative with your loading should still be "medium". Changing your medium day to this several weeks out could get you ready to hit some max singles on meet day while maintaining your heavy 5s that will drive progress. It almost transforms your HLM into a TM for a short cycle.
    My experience with "running out" Bench Press on HLM indicates that going heavy on Monday while steadily dropping volume (5s to 3s to 2s to singles) seems to work fine with the volume spread across the week. I'm guessing the same would applying to squatting?