starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Progressive Range of Motion Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuckols View Post
    I think a lot of it is ROM-dependent. A lot of the people I know who've had success with it had lockout issues, and progressive ROM training lets you train your lockout with relatively high volume and intensity. When I was pulling 645, I could break close to 700 off the floor, but I had lockout issues (in hindsight, that probalby had something to do with how I was training my squat. I was pushing squat training REALLY hard at the time, so I was very strong positions that somewhat mimicked where squats are challenging – high degrees of hip flexion – but wasn't as strong in positions where squats are less challenging – closer to full hip extension). I think I got a bit stronger off the floor with progressive ROM training, but I got a LOT stronger at lockout, which is what paid the biggest dividends.

tl;dr if you're weak at lockout, it's worth a shot. If you have a more typical sticking point near the floor, it may not do much for you.
    How does this approach compare to full-ROM deadlifts using bands or chains? Aren't a lot of issues with poor lockout due to the inability to achieve/maintain a good starting position (especially for flat-back deadlifts)? With rack pulls you can easily get into a good position and therefore pull more weight.

I think a lot of it is ROM-dependent. A lot of the people I know who've had success with it had lockout issues, and progressive ROM training lets you train your lockout with relatively high volume and intensity. When I was pulling 645, I could break close to 700 off the floor, but I had lockout issues (in hindsight, that probalby had something to do with how I was training my squat. I was pushing squat training REALLY hard at the time, so I was very strong positions that somewhat mimicked where squats are challenging – high degrees of hip flexion – but wasn't as strong in positions where squats are less challenging – closer to full hip extension). I think I got a bit stronger off the floor with progressive ROM training, but I got a LOT stronger at lockout, which is what paid the biggest dividends.

tl;dr if you're weak at lockout, it's worth a shot. If you have a more typical sticking point near the floor, it may not do much for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    How does this approach compare to full-ROM deadlifts using bands or chains? Aren't a lot of issues with poor lockout due to the inability to achieve/maintain a good starting position (especially for flat-back deadlifts)? With rack pulls you can easily get into a good position and therefore pull more weight.

Hey Greg, thanks for taking the time to comment here, didn't expect that. Also thanks to Youtube analytics I guess, lol.

When I have failed deadlifts before it has always been at the lockout, but I think in my case it's a combination of a round-thoracic pulling style and grip issues. I'm working on the grip but I have never been able to get a nice flat upper back in the start position so I'm not sure how much rack pulls would help with my lockout since they will start in a more advantageous back position than what I have at that point in a full deadlift from the floor. Maybe bands or chains would work better in my case as Manveer suggests. On the other hand the rack pulls would be training the same muscles required to finish the deadlift, albeit isometrically, at a heavier weight, so maybe they would still improve my ability to straighten up at the top with heavier weights regardless of the difference in positioning.

Now I feel like I'm getting away from the original progressive range of motion question and just wondering about the utility of rack pulls in general.

starting strength coach development program

First, good lord, did not expect you would ever head back this way again. For... a variety of reasons, really.

Also, isn't PRoM like this taking advantage of the fact that gaining strength in any given point of a movement has carryover within a few degrees around that movement?

Also, start training more strongman so you have an excuse to put out overhead pressing articles, dangit!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123