starting strength gym
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Volume sensitivity for older lifters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Because you're 40 with a shitload of muscle mass.

You HAVE to prioritize "neural efficiency".

Or take drugs & grow natty-impossible amounts of lean mass.
    I picture it more in terms of how Mike Israetel explains the different SRA-cycles. For technique, the SRA-cycle length is in the order of hours, for muscle building, order of days, for nervous system, order of a week. Programming is an act of balancing these 3 cycles. For SHWs, if you superimposed these curves over each other, it would be as if the week long curve suddenly got scaled upwards and thus starts to dominate how you program.

So even if optimizing for muscle growth would be the theoretical optimal, constraints prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    For SHWs, if you superimposed these curves over each other, it would be as if the week long curve suddenly got scaled upwards and thus starts to dominate how you program.
    I've read this a few times and don't get what you're saying. What is the y-axis of this plot?

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I've read this a few times and don't get what you're saying. What is the y-axis of this plot?
    Honestly, I'm kind of vague on that, because the y-axis would represent slightly different things for each graph, but contribution to weight lifted could work. So like for olympic lifting, the importance of technique is higher, so it contributes more to how much you could lift, so the technique curve would now have a higher magnitude.

If these curves were normalized, I picture your current strength as y=0 visually where each SRA-curve would start., then the magnitude of each SRA-curve would be determined by sport/age/gender and so on, which would produce different requirements for frequency, volume, and intensity depending on the specific case.

EDIT: Can't find the damn video Mike discussed this, it was good...
    EDIT 2: Here it is:
    Last edited by perman; 08-08-2017 at 01:52 PM.

So even if optimizing for muscle growth would be the theoretical optimal, constraints prevent it.
    Why? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    You don't even like my posts.

Regardless, this pill is bitter.
    Dearest @10,

i love you posts. I really do.

I dare you to stay at/under @9 for a month.

Yours,
    @0

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Why? I don't get it.
    Look at the video. Picture curve 3 higher in magnitude, with a bunch of curve 2s sticking out of it (starting from a point on curve 3 that is y<0). If the curve 3 is larger in magnitude, then each curve 2 peak would have be lower than if they started from a smaller curve 3. Or something like that.

EDIT: I guess one curve being < 0 constitute a multiplier effect that would diminish that magnitude of the other curves, and the opposite of it were > 0.
    Last edited by perman; 08-08-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Honestly, I'm kind of vague on that, because the y-axis would represent slightly different things for each graph, but contribution to weight lifted could work. So like for olympic lifting, the importance of technique is higher, so it contributes more to how much you could lift, so the technique curve would now have a higher magnitude.

If these curves were normalized, I picture your current strength as y=0 visually where each SRA-curve would start., then the magnitude of each SRA-curve would be determined by sport/age/gender and so on, which would produce different requirements for frequency, volume, and intensity depending on the specific case.

EDIT: Can't find the damn video Mike discussed this, it was good...
    EDIT 2: Here it is:
    Confused as hell. Why try to develop multiple outcomes concurrently in a complex syste, is it not more optimal to pursue specific outcomes (hypertrophy/ or sport strength) one at a time in a more developed athlete?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Confused as hell. Why try to develop multiple outcomes concurrently in a complex syste, is it not more optimal to pursue specific outcomes (hypertrophy/ or sport strength) one at a time in a more developed athlete?
    Mike Israetel actually is a proponent of block programming, so he does believe that, but even if you don't, technique, muscle size, and nervous system readyness still affect one another even if you try to isolate their effects. Understanding their codependence is useful for programming.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    What is the y-axis of this plot?
    Mojo factor

starting strength coach development program
    I am convinced I didn't get enough squat and DL volume and frequency and intensity was too high with S&M after 40. After stalling at 265x5 on SSLP, I gained weight and spent half a year moving the goalposts, before I realized my 1RM was stuck. I've been doing intermediate volume and frequency for the last 4 months and have finally leaned out a bit and added 25 lbs to squat and DL and am less stiff and sore than when I had triples and singles across. I need the RBE from 3x squat variations and DL 2x. Presses did okay bc the added volume from assistance compared to SS novice. Coaching would have definitely helped, but I had no coach and no real way to figure out if SRA was working until I started using RPE programs from Izzy and Jordan. Now I could probably figure out how to manipulate things with a HLM, H/L or 4 Day TM.

51, M, 6'1", 220
    Last edited by VikingCellist; 08-09-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast