starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I lower the weight increases now?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tlifter View Post
    Thank you for the great response. I will extend my rests to 5-6mins. Yeah. I'm doing the novice LP. I'm not adding in any conditioning or other work. A couple weeks ago the app told me to start doing chin-ups. I'm not quite strong enough for chin-ups so I'm doing lat pulldowns.
    OK good. I think increasing your rest periods will help you, in addition to getting your nutrition squared away. A 5,5,3 tells me you were not properly recovered from the previous set, or you had some mess up in technique. For heavy presses and benches I rest 8-10 minutes, FYI. Everybody varies but just make sure you're properly ready. A 4,4,3 tells me you got either too greedy in your weight jump, or were not properly recovered from the last workout. Microload the upper body lifts sooner than you think. 5lb jumps don't last too long on the upper body. Keep trying with the chins. There is an article that Niki Sims wrote to help with chins. Good luck!

I got the 4,4, 3 because my shoulder got very tight part way through the 1st set. I do lots of warmups including a couple rotator cuff warmups before lifting but it was a very hot day and the gym has lots of fans but no air conditioning so I was sweating a lot. The next time I went to the gym I added a tiny bit of salt into my BCAAs and I think that helped. Also, I'm new to the gym and they have lots of specialty equipment and I didn't realize I was using an Olympic bar instead of a power or squat bar so it slid down my back doing low bar squats just slightly but enough to engage my anterior delt too much.
    Last edited by tlifter; 08-14-2017 at 02:40 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tlifter View Post
    I just finished my 2nd workout on my 5th week of SS. I have been increasing my lifts by 10lbs lower and 5lbs upper. Last week the app told me to start incorporating chin-ups into my workout A routine so I incorporated lat pulldowns because chin-ups are a little too advanced at the moment. Last Friday I got all my reps on all my lifts except for my overhead press where I got 4,4,3. Today I overhead pressed the same weight and got 5,5,3. On the last set I went slower on the eccentric because I have been feeling that for my bench press and overhead press I have been somewhat dropping the weight down rather than being in good control of it. I didn't do a 3 count or anything but just slowed it enough that I was in control the entire time. My squat has been awesome until today I got 4,4,3. I probably could have gotten another one on my last set but I would rather be safer than not get out of the hole. As I said, this is my 5th week. Should I do a deload week then continue? My weights are 80lbs on the overhead press which I failed twice, 205lbs on the squat which I failed for the first time today, 90lbs on the bench press which I got on Monday, and 235lbs on the deadlift which I got today. Should I switch to 5lb increases on my squat and 2.5lb increases on the overhead press, take 10% off and go up again, drop dead lifting 3x/week and start power cleaning (I would prefer to deadlift 3x/week as long as possible), or just attempt the weights again? Something else? Thank you.
    I wanted to clarify something. Have you been increasing your squat by 10 pounds per week for 5 weeks? Or been trying to increase your squat by 10 pounds every workout? I would definitely say agree that a 10% reset is in order. At no point after the first 2 weeks of the program should you attempt to add 10 pounds to the squat per workout, assuming you properly determined your start weight. These numbers seem very strange to me for a place to get stuck and you might want to take a look at your diet and sleep since it is a pretty glaring recovery deficit in my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12