starting strength gym

Thread: HLM Programming Video

Default HLM Programming Video

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I've just watched your new HLM programming video on youtube. Great stuff. I got a quick question:

For heavy squats, you suggested one heavy set of 1-5 and then 4x5 back-off sets. I read that another popular approach (Starr's?) is to do 5 ascending sets of 5, which seems to save time (as the first 4 sets are done without much rest).

How to select between these 2 approaches? What factors to consider? e.g. For a 45yo, should I favour one over another?

Thanks.

As I alluded to in the video, the example I outlined was only one option....it's there to illustrate the broader point which is that the "heavy" day creates more stress than the light or medium days. Starr's approach works very well for many, but may or may not be enough stress (really just one top set of 5) to drive progress. Starr's book was written in the context of training large groups of athletes in a crowded weight room. That is going to require an approach that may or may not be 100% optimal for every individual athlete. To efficiently get the training session done there has to be some uniformity to the prescription and a simple protocol to follow for the athletes who are not primarily lifters, but rather athletes. I really like the ascending 5x5 for squats for older lifters, but not as much on benching and pressing. Usually more volume at a higher intensity is required to move the needle.