starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on late novice programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Sq set 3 8.11 - YouTube Here is the video at 295 sq
    First, those looked easy as hell. You do kinda dive bomb or drop into a relaxed position in the hole before you pop right up. You could try controlling your descent just a hair more. On the way up, it's hard to tell on my phone screen and the video angle, but you seem to be getting the bar forward of midfoot by raising your elbows and kinda shoving the bar up your back. Your feet pronate a little and your heels keep coming off the ground. Keep your elbows down a bit more and keep thoracic extension. Chest and hips rise at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    First, those looked easy as hell. You do kinda dive bomb or drop into a relaxed position in the hole before you pop right up. You could try controlling your descent just a hair more. On the way up, it's hard to tell on my phone screen and the video angle, but you seem to be getting the bar forward of midfoot by raising your elbows and kinda shoving the bar up your back. Your feet pronate a little and your heels keep coming off the ground. Keep your elbows down a bit more and keep thoracic extension. Chest and hips rise at the same time.
    Thanks for the tips! Yeah, the 295 felt pretty good. The 300 was very slow. I don't have a video but it felt way heavier than the 295. Could've been underrecovered. Also, since I am a noob my idea of 'slow' and 'hard' is not accurate. I definitely lose thoracic extension and crank the elbows and get ahead of midfoot. That's been my biggest struggle and it was definitely evident in the 300.I'll post a video of 305 here on Friday and see what we got.

Yeah 295 looked super easy. Whenever you did 300-305 it must have been a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Yeah 295 looked super easy. Whenever you did 300-305 it must have been a bad day.
    Yeah, could be for sure.

Thanks, y'all. This has all been very helpful.

Hey guys!

So I have a question about the upper body lifts when transitioning to triples. I'm now doing triples for bench and press. Both are progressing nicely. Book says do 3x3 and that's what I've been doing but I listened to the barbell logic podcast with Matt Reynolds last night and he said 5 sets of 3. Does it really matter either way?

Hey y'all!

OK so everything is starting to wind down! Finishing a pretty good LP I think! I don't think I am going to try and eek out every last pound of LP. I was thinking of transitioning into a HLM template and could use y'alls guidance. My deadlift stalled again yesterday at the same weight as before and after reading the forums, it looks like I could use some more volume. Squats are progressing slowly on LP, and presses and benches are on triples 3x3 with two backs offs at 15% for 2sets of five and seem to be progressing fine at the moment (but my feelings are probably lying!). I would like some advice on how to transition. Since I am on triples for the pressing movements should I just stick with what I am doing (triples and back offs) for the Heavy day, and then do some fives on the 'Medium' day? Or should I max (like KOTJ mentioned earlier) once triples run their course and then base percentages off of those (if so, what?) and do fives for Heavy Day and maybe close grip on medium day? If close grip, what percentage of bench (not sure what I could close grip at the moment). For deadlifts, I feel like I am just trying to bury 5s indefinitely and need to change it up. I will say, I suck right now at maintaining rigid low back extension with heavy weight. So would higher reps be useful? I generally miss right above the knee (probably because I can't straighten my back). Another DL variant? I will be seeing a coach in early November so hopefully that gets ironed out, but in the meantime my deadlift is stuck and I would like for it to get unstuck. Happy to give you any other info, videos, my soul, etc. Thank you for the help and looking forward to a good discussion! PS: Not sure if it is important, but my goals are to get a big squat, bench, and DL! I love the press but want to focus on bench ATM.

Current lifts:
    Bench 3x3 (285)
    Press 3x3 (190)
    Squat 3x5 (330)
    Dl 390 (failed twice)
    BW 230...still gaining and will be until the end of the year per Coach Jordan's advice.

Tentative HLM set up

Tues:
    Heavy Squat 3-5 sets of five
    Heavy Bench not sure reps yet
    DL-Not sure what to do here yet

Thur
    Light Squat 80%Mon
    Press-same as bench
    Light pull-RDL? SLDL?
    Maybe some arm work?

Sat
    Squat- 90%of Monday
    Closegrip bench-not sure here yet
    BB Rows- 3x5

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Hey guys!

So I have a question about the upper body lifts when transitioning to triples. I'm now doing triples for bench and press. Both are progressing nicely. Book says do 3x3 and that's what I've been doing but I listened to the barbell logic podcast with Matt Reynolds last night and he said 5 sets of 3. Does it really matter either way?
    This largely comes down to how much volume you can tolerate and how much volume is needed to stimulate an adaptation response. I would start 3x3 but pay attention if you get stuck. If recovery is on point and you aren't having issues with recovery but the weights aren't going up, I'd go to 5 sets of 3. Upper body tends to respond well to additional volume in that way from what I've synthesized from the SS community.,

Thanks Dalton. Yeah, what I started doing this week was 3x3 with two back offs for 2 sets of 5 at a 15% reduction. My chest was sore for the first time in awhile. We will see how that goes and if I need to add two more sets on top of it. Any comments on how to approach intermediate benching/pressing? Once the triples run out im kinda confused about the heavy and medium pressing days and how to transition from the end of LP to an intermediate setup.

I personally haven't made the transition yet. I'm still in novice land and will be for a while hopefully. I'm 23 so lucky me. But I don't have a life so I have read the shit out of Starting Strength and PPST. HLM is a solid program but if you are really just wanting to drive your main 3 lifts through the roof, you might be served with a 4 day Texas method assuming you can train 4 days a week. I would have to reference PPST for the possible ways to perform HLM since it is (relatively) flexible as far as what constitutes a 'heavy' day. If you are anything like me, programs that go off of percentages, RPE, or changing volumes/sets/reps just confuse me. My gut says that with your goals maybe you should be doing 5x5 for a volume day, a 3 sets of 5 (or even 2) on a light day, and then a low rep intensity day.

This is my exhausted (really crappy sleep the last 4 nights) way of asking: what are your training resources as far as time goes and what are your goals? That is the first step in figuring out how the hell to transition.

Footnote: I'm 23, been on the program for 3 months and through 1 round of technical resets. Lifts: S 290, B 190, P 130, DL who the hell knows since my form is ass.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    I personally haven't made the transition yet. I'm still in novice land and will be for a while hopefully. I'm 23 so lucky me. But I don't have a life so I have read the shit out of Starting Strength and PPST. HLM is a solid program but if you are really just wanting to drive your main 3 lifts through the roof, you might be served with a 4 day Texas method assuming you can train 4 days a week. I would have to reference PPST for the possible ways to perform HLM since it is (relatively) flexible as far as what constitutes a 'heavy' day. If you are anything like me, programs that go off of percentages, RPE, or changing volumes/sets/reps just confuse me. My gut says that with your goals maybe you should be doing 5x5 for a volume day, a 3 sets of 5 (or even 2) on a light day, and then a low rep intensity day.

This is my exhausted (really crappy sleep the last 4 nights) way of asking: what are your training resources as far as time goes and what are your goals? That is the first step in figuring out how the hell to transition.

Footnote: I'm 23, been on the program for 3 months and through 1 round of technical resets. Lifts: S 290, B 190, P 130, DL who the hell knows since my form is ass.
    Yeah, I have copies of ss and practical programming. I need to re read those. I been slammed lately. Anywho, yeah I can't do 4 days unfortunately at the moment. And everyone around here hates Texas method. I'm not sure if that includes the variations of it or not, but i have ready many threads about the shortcomings of it. I'm just kinda lost because when I research HLM or TM I get a million different search results and I'm just left confused. I generally understand what we are trying to do as an intermediate but understanding the theory and then applying it are two different things. Right now it's just DO YER FAHVES...and intermediate is like ehhhh you got some options.
    lol don't even get me going on RPE. I suck ass at gauging things. My earlier posts in this thread were like oh shit squats about to stall.wtf do I do?! And I have added 30 pounds to the bar since then.

Back to programming questions: since I'm on triples for bench, should I go back to my last completed five workset and just do that 5x5?

The DLs are the trickiest for me as well since my technique sucks. I'm not sure if adding a DL variant would be helpful or if just practicing the movement more and having a heavy DL day like 2 sets of 3 and then a light DL day of like 2 sets of 6

To amswer your questions:
    1) training resources are good. Sleep is good for the most part. Gaining weight until the end of the year. Probs end up in the 240-250 range
    2) I want to be strong as fuck. Not sure if I'll compete but I probably will.
    3) I'm not crazy about spending all night in the gym but I can do long workouts at the moment.

Sorry for the long post! I'm going to go pick up practical programming and see what jewels are in there. Thanks man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast