starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on late novice programming

Default Advice on late novice programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys!

OK, so I know this has been discussed a bunch but after doing research in PPST and reading the boards it seems that there is either some disagreement or dislike towards some of the methods used in the late novice stage. I was hoping to see if I could get some advice on what has helped y'all the most, and in turn, will help me. I understand this is highly individual but having a discussion I think will provide some benefit. Anyways, lets get going:
    So, basic info:
    Male, 26, 6'1 BW 220-225 (weight gain of 30-35 pounds from May)

Programming: Adv Novice (light sq day in middle of week)
    All lifts have been reset once and are currently approaching the previous stall weights
    Bench- stalled at 275 at 3x5 (last bench workout I did 270 3x5--will microload next session)
    Press-stalled at 185 3x5 (last workout was 175--will microload next session)
    Dl- stalled 1x5 405 (deloaded to 365). Have dropped to once a week with an added back off set at 90% top set. Did 375 yesterday with back off at 340
    Sq- stalled 305 (last workout was 300 for 3x5)

Questions/Comments:
    Bench--270 felt pretty easy for the first set of five. second set was the hardest out of the three (bar path was a little off). the fourth and fifth rep were tough on the third set. However, I don't see 5s lasting much longer for bench (at least for all 3 sets). Would a top set of 5 and then back offs be appropriate? Or are triples better? I've seen on the boards that triples work well for bench.

Press-Same concerns as bench.

Dl- I think I still have a bit of LP on this. I struggle with technique on this the most out of all the lifts. I recently sent coach C a form check.

Sq- the 300 for 3x5 felt like a ton yesterday. I am supposed to go for 3x5 305 on Friday. Technique is OK, I think. I have had some form checks by Coach C and others in the technique forum. Anyways, I don't see much more 3x5 progression on the squats. I think I will try and go for it on Friday. In y'alls experience, what has been a nice transition? Triples ( 5x3, or 3x3?), Back offs (I've read these are more for technique issues?), One on two off scheduling? HLM?

Conclusion: Sorry for the long post here, but I am anticipating the novice gains to be ending here relatively soon, but I want to make sure I milk as much as possible. I know this has been discussed quite a bit, but I just want to make sure I understand all this stuff and hear what y'all have done.
    Last edited by Royce Nichols; 08-15-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Yo dude,

I'd probably either work up to a top set or do 3reps 5 sets.

If you work up to a top set on 5reps 3 sets, the squat *might* look like 295/305/295.

TLDR: You can probably do either. I'd just give it another good run to the stall weights and then if you fail again, make the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    Yo dude,

I'd probably either work up to a top set or do 3reps 5 sets.

If you work up to a top set on 5reps 3 sets, the squat *might* look like 295/305/295.

TLDR: You can probably do either. I'd just give it another good run to the stall weights and then if you fail again, make the switch.
    Thanks, dude!

Royce

Re bench and press - yes, switch to triples. The book suggests 3 x 3. If you need a little more volume, you could add in a couple of backoff sets.

I'll typically do at least 3 sets of 3 followed by 2 backoff sets ~5-8% lighter. If I can get 4 sets on a "good day" + 1 backoff set, sometimes I will do that. You should be able to eek out a little more progress. Definitely microload.

Re squats, typically it's one heavy set of 5, followed by 2 backoff sets of 5 at ~5-10% lighter.

Overall, your squat may transition to Intermediate (HLM) before the other lifts. Make sure you're getting plenty of food/sleep as you get to the end of the Advanced Novice progression.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    Royce

Re bench and press - yes, switch to triples. The book suggests 3 x 3. If you need a little more volume, you could add in a couple of backoff sets.

I'll typically do at least 3 sets of 3 followed by 2 backoff sets ~5-8% lighter. If I can get 4 sets on a "good day" + 1 backoff set, sometimes I will do that. You should be able to eek out a little more progress. Definitely microload.

Re squats, typically it's one heavy set of 5, followed by 2 backoff sets of 5 at ~5-10% lighter.

Overall, your squat may transition to Intermediate (HLM) before the other lifts. Make sure you're getting plenty of food/sleep as you get to the end of the Advanced Novice progression.

Good luck!
    Thanks, Mia! That helps a lot. I definitely think I can get a little bit more on the bench, especially if I switch to triples. Same with presses.

If I fix my DL technique, I know I can get quite a bit more on the LP.

Squats I think will have to transition to intermediate before anything else. That's just based on feel and I know that's not an accurate assessment but we shall see. You've given me some good ideas to help me get to the end. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    For simplicity, I'd switch to an HLM setup for upper body lifts.

Choose whether you prefer the bench vs the press, to determine which one you place an emphasis on.

Here comes some more blasphemy...

I'd run triples your next week, then max your bench and presses the following week, before starting HLM for upper body.

*Just reread; I'd honestly just switch over to intermediate programming now, if your squat and DL are stalling, and you've been running advanced novice, I'd switch to HLM or the Bridge
    Thanks, man! I'm still deciding between either or for the press or bench. Ok, so I'm assuming you base percentages off the 1RMs for the HLM split?

I think if I fix my technique problems I could probably LP the DL for awhile. But I don't see the sq going much farther.

At any rate, I'll have to make the switch soon anyways. I'll make the switch to triples and add some back offs and see where that leads me. Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    If your squat is stalling, but deadlift has some possible "milking", there is a high chance that the extra stress needed to move the squat won't okay well with the added stress from the deadlift.

The hard part about leaving LP is accepting that the most efficient progress will not be weekly linear increases.

Look at Jordan's and Austin's "The Bridge" they just put out. Read Andy's HLM stuff.

You're good for, or right around, a 315 bench.

I'd kill that milestone, then decide on press vs bench priority.

Again, the weekly linear increases FEEL the most effective, because you FEEL like you're continuing novice LP...but how you feel is a lie! *Making fun of the silliness of "how you feel is a lie"*

If you're looking for the best advice for intermediates (and beyond), you'll need to look for people and/or programming ideas that produce the best results.

I'd read everything on barbellmedicine.com and reactivetrainingsystems.com (tuscherer site), as a start.

Google "Texas method sucks for your bench" in the training forum, for a long ass discussion that has lots of intermediate and advanced lifters here weighing in.

Good luck, bruv.
    Thanks, KoTJ! Got some good info here. Just got done reading through the Texas method thread--good info in there and some good laughs.

I'll check out the other stuff tonight. I'll probably have some questions about them. Cool if I post them here or you want a different thread? I'm going to do my research first.Yeah, believe me I'm eyeing for that 315 bench! Till next time.

Have you had your form checked? I don't think it's too unusual, but your bench, press and deadlift are disproportionately strong when compared to your squat.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Have you had your form checked? I don't think it's too unusual, but your bench, press and deadlift are disproportionately strong when compared to your squat.
    I have! But having another pair of eyes would be helpful, just in case they missed something. Here is a set of 5 at 295.

I had previous exposure to the upper body lifts so I think that's helped a lot....and probably the most important being gaining weight. My upper body lifts blew up. I never squatted or Deadlifted in high school or undergrad

The squat has always been a challenge for me, unfortunately.

starting strength coach development program
    Sq set 3 8.11 - YouTube Here is the video at 295 sq

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast