starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Light day for squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    I went to squat today, after not doing anything stupid over the weekend, and 255 felt incredibly easy. I think I'm 'in the grind' now where I'm just getting good at it.
    If its easy, its not a grind. If its hard, maybe its a grind. Form check!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    If its easy, its not a grind. If its hard, maybe its a grind. Form check!
    Well it's "hard" as in the bar speed suddenly got a lot slower around 235, but it feels like I'm getting into a higher gear a little more easily now. I felt like I could have added another 10 lbs on the bar, or done another two or three reps per set. I'll post a a form check next workout when I remember, each successive rep for every set though I strive to go deeper and it also feels easier. The feeling is I go right down to the point where my hamstrings relax and I feel like I could just sit there forever, then I just push back up.

It was probably some mental stuff, I'm no longer considering a light day anytime soon.

Well it's "hard" as in the bar speed suddenly got a lot slower around 235, but it feels like I'm getting into a higher gear a little more easily now. I felt like I could have added another 10 lbs on the bar, or done another two or three reps per set. I'll post a a form check next workout when I remember, each successive rep for every set though I strive to go deeper and it also feels easier. The feeling is I go right down to the point where my hamstrings relax and I feel like I could just sit there forever, then I just push back up.

It was probably some mental stuff, I'm no longer considering a light day anytime soon.
    I think what Alexander Rix is saying (pardon me for speaking for you) but that if the bar speed is able to be steady it isn't really a grinded rep. To me a grinded rep is on the order of me having to check my pants after to make sure I didn't blow a teste or leave a parting gift for my shorts. It is more likely that you are adjusting to handling heavier loads and are most used to the 'feel' of the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    I think what Alexander Rix is saying (pardon me for speaking for you) but that if the bar speed is able to be steady it isn't really a grinded rep. To me a grinded rep is on the order of me having to check my pants after to make sure I didn't blow a teste or leave a parting gift for my shorts. It is more likely that you are adjusting to handling heavier loads and are most used to the 'feel' of the lift.
    What if.. there is something... Beyond? O.o

It helps to get "good" at grinding though, correct? I saw that talk Kirk Karwoski gave about how he outlawed plates less than 25 for a day at his gym. At that level where lifters are already supremely adapted, an increase like that would have to have something to it that wasn't simple motor capability.

Enlightenment, perhaps.

Add more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    Enlightenment, perhaps.

Add more weight.
    That's the thing too, I still hit a "sticking point" occasionally. But I am more and more confident that when I do I can rev it up and get the bar up. My back's failed me today once too, which is what happens when I hit a tough PR squat, but the perceived effort for everything really is going down as the weight goes up. All of the physical after effects are amplified with the weight (I was lightheaded after my first set, plus the back thing for example). But I went back at them a minute or so sooner than usual and I still got them up.

I also squatted on the Olympic platform too since the gym was empty except apparently for people using the squat racks. By the time one freed up I had the weight on already so I just did them without the safety guards. I think that may have helped as well. Those things are magnetic. And a beast doesn't like to be in a cage.

I think.. I will stick to 5lb jumps at the moment lol. I felt like I could have done 260 instead of 255 today easily.. I might consider making a bigger jump if it gets any easier.
    Last edited by cfreetenor; 08-22-2017 at 12:17 AM.

What if.. there is something... Beyond? O.o

It helps to get "good" at grinding though, correct? I saw that talk Kirk Karwoski gave about how he outlawed plates less than 25 for a day at his gym. At that level where lifters are already supremely adapted, an increase like that would have to have something to it that wasn't simple motor capability.
    I don't really feel like there is a specific technique to grinding out a rep. It mostly amounts to mental toughness and the willingness to stay with the rep despite bar speed slowing to a crawl. It is possible to get more comfortable with this situation however.

That's the thing too, I still hit a "sticking point" occasionally. But I am more and more confident that when I do I can rev it up and get the bar up. My back's failed me today once too, which is what happens when I hit a tough PR squat, but the perceived effort for everything really is going down as the weight goes up. All of the physical after effects are amplified with the weight (I was lightheaded after my first set, plus the back thing for example). But I went back at them a minute or so sooner than usual and I still got them up.

I also squatted on the Olympic platform too since the gym was empty except apparently for people using the squat racks. By the time one freed up I had the weight on already so I just did them without the safety guards. I think that may have helped as well. Those things are magnetic. And a beast doesn't like to be in a cage.

I think.. I will stick to 5lb jumps at the moment lol. I felt like I could have done 260 instead of 255 today easily.. I might consider making a bigger jump if it gets any easier.
    Let me say that I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but if the weights are getting easier as they increase something else is going on. Your form has changed, you are more comfortable under the bar, you are more confident. Something. At the weights you are at they should not be getting easier. I have seen people claim this and what is happening is their depth is getting compromised as they add more weight. Take videos as often as you can to make sure your form is good. However, you are NOT getting stronger faster than the weights are increasing. If it feels easy? Fine. Stick with what you are doing. You shouldn't fail a rep anyways on NLP if you can help it.

And now you know EXACTLY why perceived effort is not useful for a novice. It is subjective. If you are stoked about your progress, your next workout will seem better. If you are amped up for some reason, it will seem easier. All things staying the same, a heavier weight should feel heavier than the last heavy weight that you did. Do not make a ten pound jump on squats outside of the first 2 weeks. You will get stuck. The name of the game with linear progression isn't to get it done fastest, it is to go at a sustainable pace for as long as possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Form is definitely a factor. I think my depth is getting better actually, but my stance is something I've taken care with recently. I had it a bit too narrow, so the past week I've focused on setting up with my heels at shoulder width and my toes pointed out "more than I'd like." I've since felt a much more even distribution of effort on the insides and outsides of my legs, and it's brought my lower back in a lot more as well.

I think I'm just getting better at squatting while getting stronger.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234