starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light day for squats

Default Light day for squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When do you typically see 24 year old healthy but untrained males who started with a 145 squat factor in a light squat day in their programming?

Lifts:

Squat 245x5
    Dead 285x5
    Bench 200x5
    OHP 132.5x5
    PC 135x3
    Snatch 110x2

Weight: 180 (started 162)

I've been deadlifting every day because of a programming error when I started, to get a good gap between my DL and my squat. Ive also been doing the cleans and snatches on a fourth day, five triples and six doubles respectively, or whenever I feel fresh enough to get some practice. They don't feel very fatiguing, in fact they're kind of invigorating.

So knowing I'm doing 10-15 sets of cleans and 6-18 sets of snatches a week at those weights, is that something I'd have to account for in light squat day programming?

I haven't failed at all, and in fact today went very well moreso than the past few times at 245, I just felt it start to get pretty grindy around 230. Keep grinding and eating?

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    Keep grinding and eating?
    Yes.

How tall are you?

Grind until you cannot get a full set of five for three consecutive sessions, then reset 10% and continue LP until you are back at grinding and can't get a full set of five (you'll likely be at an even higher squat weight by this point). Rinse and repeat until you can't get any higher, then consider light squat days.

Alrighty.

I'm 6' even.

I just don't want to fail. I remember seeing Rip saying to just 'never fail the squat' because you teach yourself how to.

I'm not sure that's the right mindset. You should always think about doing the set, instead of "not failing it."

I added in a light day at around 375 and I was 24/240/6' so acoording to my proprietary algorithm I'd say 280 for you.

Eat more.
    Last edited by Alexander Rix; 08-17-2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Clarify humor

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    Alrighty.

I'm 6' even.

I just don't want to fail. I remember seeing Rip saying to just 'never fail the squat' because you teach yourself how to.
    Can you find that quote? I don't think I've ever heard that - otherwise how can anybody know when move onto advance novice and intermediate?

Once it gets hard.

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    Grind until you cannot get a full set of five for three consecutive sessions, then reset 10% and continue LP until you are back at grinding and can't get a full set of five (you'll likely be at an even higher squat weight by this point). Rinse and repeat until you can't get any higher, then consider light squat days.
    I would advise against this. Add the light day before you fail. Maybe not at 245, but definitely before you stall twice.

It's a lot easier not to get stuck than to get unstuck through multiple re-sets. Two 5 lb jumps every week is a lot better than repeatedly failing for a week and then taking a week or more to reset and move back up.

By the time you have to legitimately re-set twice you should be considering varying programming toward an intermediate template anyway.

Can you find that quote? I don't think I've ever heard that - otherwise how can anybody know when move onto advance novice and intermediate?
    I think he said it in one of the platform squat videos. As I recall, he was making a specific point about not repeating bad form or it just becomes movement to unlearn later. It didn't seem like he was denying the possibility of a failed rep ever.

Isn't the best time to practice bailing on a squat when one chooses to practice that? I've seen a few people hurt in the gym fails squats, and it didn't seem like any of them had any bail technique down. Is that being prepared, or practicing failure?

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    I think he said it in one of the platform squat videos. As I recall, he was making a specific point about not repeating bad form or it just becomes movement to unlearn later. It didn't seem like he was denying the possibility of a failed rep ever.

Isn't the best time to practice bailing on a squat when one chooses to practice that? I've seen a few people hurt in the gym fails squats, and it didn't seem like any of them had any bail technique down. Is that being prepared, or practicing failure?
    Yeah, Rip said something about the difference between failing a squat and bailing on a squat. I asked for clarification on that same point: Ask Rip #49.

-RJP

starting strength coach development program
    Got to disagree with this. Add the light day as soon as you think you'll need it. Better to slow your squat progression from 15lbs per week to 10 lbs per week than grind yourself into the ground with 2 or more stalls and wasted weeks/months of training.

It's always better to avoid the stall.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast