starting strength gym

Thread: 8 5 2 progression

Default 8 5 2 progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi , Andy, I know on your Powerbuilding program you use sets across for the 852 progression, my question is can you use the same progression with 1 top +back off? What would be the pro/con of doing it that way?

Yes. And alot of people do the DL that way. The pro is that its less work. That con is that its less work. So if you need less work (i.e. you aren't recovering well from sets across) then this reduce total workload. The only lift I'd consider doing this (for most people doing the powerbuilding template) is the DL.

Andy, when doing your powerbuilding program on a cut (I know you don't recommend it) would you recommend back off sets or dropping 5-10% and doing sets across?
    I started a cut and although my deads and squats are still going up, my press and bench are dropping noticeably. I started doing back off sets out of necessity because I could barely hit that first set for full reps. But I am thinking maybe going back to the weights from a couple cycles ago and hitting sets across.

I've also eased off a bit on the intensity of the assistance work but trying to keep the volume about the same. Basically I'm just not going to failure every set, but still trying to get a good pump.

All in all I am loving the program. I was stuck in that early intermediate pit and couldn't get my press or bench up for months but since I started your program I was able to add 5 to 10 lbs to those lifts each cycle for 3 cycles until starting a cut. I think it was the assistance work and the sets of 8 that did the trick. Either way, hitting PR's in all the lifts and I want to try to at least maintain that for a couple months until I start bulking again.

Thanks!

Nah, don't reset the weights. Keep moving forward even if its just barely at all or just holding ground.