starting strength gym

Thread: KSC Powerlifting alternative to a few of the recommended exercises.

Default KSC Powerlifting alternative to a few of the recommended exercises.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

I can't do dips (they do funny things to my elbows, or maybe I hate them like you do rowing machines) so what exercises can I rotate for them? Also, my gym doesn't have a lot of machines, so what can I substitute for cable and reverse flys?

When it comes to lifting I have a weird functional fixation with lifts and can't seem to engineer appropriate alternatives to what has been prescribed.

You can do max-rep push ups or pick a Dumbbell Pressing variation (flat, incline, decline, seated) and do some sets of 8-12 reps. The decline most simulates a Dip.

Just use DB or BW variations for the machine stuff. If you cannot do this then the power-building program may not be for you. This program kind of assumes you know your way around the gym a bit and have some familiarity with training exercises other than Squat, Bench, Dead, Press.

You can still use the 852 progression, but you just need to apply it to a more "barbells only" type of template. If you have no equipment other than a rack and a barbell you really cannot do the PBing program and if you try to do all the assistance/supplemental shit with a barbell you are going to kill yourself.

Thanks. The gym I attend just lacks a few machines, so I can't quite do all the possibilities listed in the program variations. I'm also realizing that I'm almost 40 and that there is a fair amount of hate directed towards you during my sets of 8 on deadlift day.

Keep at 'em. You can adapt. They'll pay off when all of a sudden the fives don't seem so hard anymore....

It's already paying off and I look forward to fives 'cause it's not death by eights (starting my 3rd cycle). Helped me get past a sticking point and easily pulled 500 for 3x2. OHP is at 210 3x2; and bench, well it is a slow but steady climb to get to get past 315 (never been my best lift).