starting strength gym

Thread: Towards individualized program desgin

I find these graphs problematic.

I tried to read this but found the graphics extremely difficult to understand and the argument even more so. Seems like a special snowflake argument to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    I find these graphs problematic.
    What is it that you find problematic with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    I tried to read this but found the graphics extremely difficult to understand and the argument even more so. Seems like a special snowflake argument to me.
    Yeah, this is certainly not an easy article for a general audience. Im opening these threads with an implicit "for whom it may concern" disclaimer (well, isnt that any thread that is opened). Some background knowledge in stats is helpful. If you are interested in a graph, just shoot and Ill try to explain.

As for your "suspicion": Of course its kind of about special snowflakes - thats the topic.

Instead of displaying the distribution of the data (or quantiles or whatever) , the authors list the raw data ordered. So I don't know how these graphs are meaningful. They also don't provide a an estimate of measurement error which is bound to be substantial in exercise science studies.

In general, talking about what causes the variance in a sample requires its own set of statistical analysis and theorizing on why that might be. One cannot simply posit physiological reasons to explain to variance and then conclude people need signifigently individualized programming

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Rix View Post
    Instead of displaying the distribution of the data (or quantiles or whatever) , the authors list the raw data ordered. So I don't know how these graphs are meaningful. They also don't provide a an estimate of measurement error which is bound to be substantial in exercise science studies.

In general, talking about what causes the variance in a sample requires its own set of statistical analysis and theorizing on why that might be. One cannot simply posit physiological reasons to explain to variance and then conclude people need signifigently individualized programming
    You need to read the original studies and the article.