starting strength gym

Thread: Question & Answer Video

Default Question & Answer Video

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm gonna film a Q&A video for Youtube later this week. Post any random training question here and I'll include it in the video. First 10 questions get included. Include your first name. I'm not gonna use screen names, and I'm not going to post the threads here, only the video.

If you write 10 paragraphs worth of backstory to your question I'm not gonna include it. Keep it brief and to the point....

3-2-1....GO!

Thanks Andy, I like the the format and very informative as usual.

If, on Texas Method, a lifter can drive intensity day with a three sets of 5 volume day, should he do any more than that?

I recommend a minimum effective dose, so yes. It's an easy fix to add volume in the form of an extra set or two down the road if you find you need additional stimulus.

Regarding Part 2.

Thanks for answering my question about the most common self programming mistakes. Your point about training being "an evolution" that is guided by the changes a trainee makes when paying attention to cause and effect was an aha moment. Thanks again.....

When programming an assistance lift like the goodmornings or close grip bench, how do you regulate the load augmentation? can you just add 5 lbs every workout or do you play with % of your main lift?

If you've never done them before you can pretty much LP them for a while. One of the problems with supplemental lifts is they are often impacted (sometimes dramatically) by whatever you did on the main movement that preceded it. So if you work up to say a max effort double on a squat and then go and do GMs you are likely to do pretty well on those GMs. Your nervous system is "primed" from the very heavy squat, but you haven't built up a ton of fatigue. However if you do a very heavy 5x5 squat workout, then your GMs might not be able to go so heavy because of the fatigue created by the high volume work. It can take a little time to figure out a system that works and to kind of know how your body will respond to certain types of stress. You have to be able to somewhat auto-regulate during the workout and this will be easier with time and experience. I pretty much always program supplemental lifts in accordance with whatever my main lift is that day. So if we're doing heavy high volume squats (think max effort 5x5) then the DL supplemental movement might be something lighter and easier like RDLs for sets of 8-10. Or even easier, like glute ham raises or 90 degree back extensions for sets of 10-15 if we're really smoked. If the main squat movement for the day was a little less taxing, like say a single max effort double, then we might supplement with Rack Pulls or Deficit Deads for heavy 5s.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Again, great to listen to those explanations and reflections. Thanks Andy!