starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Effective strength training with injured back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Turned 18. Backpain started at 16 already.

I have no experience with this, but You should explore ways to have a physical life. Many older lifters have overcome debilitating back pain through training. The body is meant to be loaded and worked. In the absence of a challenging load it grows weaker and weakness is bad for backs. Get coaching, you will need to do things with proper execution, but you should not give up on a function.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    I have no experience with this, but You should explore ways to have a physical life. Many older lifters have overcome debilitating back pain through training. The body is meant to be loaded and worked. In the absence of a challenging load it grows weaker and weakness is bad for backs. Get coaching, you will need to do things with proper execution, but you should not give up on a function.
    Deadlift back pain - YouTube

Do you think form improvement through a coach would help me? I mean my Dl's don't look that horrible.

No they are not bad.
    Describe the pain. Is accute only while lifting, does it continue after lifting? have you considered trying to do rack pulls and slowly lowering the starting position over time?

No they are not bad.
    Describe the pain. Is accute only while lifting, does it continue after lifting? have you considered trying to do rack pulls and slowly lowering the starting position over time?
    It hurts the most during the conventional deadlift and squat (lvl.4) and a bit less after the lift for a couple minutes (lvl3). The weight is not relevant. Emtpy bar squats also hurt. After I finish the workout, my back slightly but constantly hurts until I go to bed (lvl.2). As I wake up, I'm "fresh" again. I have no pain, but I feel "something" in the back (lvl.1). The lvl 2 pain also comes when I bend over or arch my back at any given moment when I'm "fresh". Sprinting and jumping does the same as squats and deadlifts.

Leg press also hurts me. But it is probably because I'm new to the exercise and my butt get's off the bench sometimes.

You want to lift with the back in extension but not not overextended and arched, pelvic tilt can be a problem.
    Instead of doing nothing try to do some deadlifts from the knee height (rack pull) to start. See if you can practice the back position "rigid not arched" tighten the entire back without arching the back into lordosis, don't let the pelvis tilt back. Work up to a set of 5 that is challenging but not a rep max.
    If that is pain free or at least more tolerable there is a path to progression.

You want to lift with the back in extension but not not overextended and arched, pelvic tilt can be a problem.
    Instead of doing nothing try to do some deadlifts from the knee height (rack pull) to start. See if you can practice the back position "rigid not arched" tighten the entire back without arching the back into lordosis, don't let the pelvis tilt back. Work up to a set of 5 that is challenging but not a rep max.
    If that is pain free or at least more tolerable there is a path to progression.
    Good idea. I will try it out.
    My back is naturally hyperextended and making it neutral feels like rounding. I can't tell when my back is actually neutral. Gonna practise. I have a belt. Should I use it on my rackpulls?

Yes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Dobson View Post
    Yes.
    So I tried rackpulls and my back got inflamed again and has been hurting terribly for the last couple days. Do you have other ideas?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast