starting strength gym

Thread: One lift per day assistance

Default One lift per day assistance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Currently doing the One lift per day program as outlined on page 156 of PPST. It is recommended that each assistance exercise is done for 3-5x10-12 after your main lift every week.
    However each main lift varies in volume and intensity each week. This has an impact on the following assistance work - My triceps are fucked after 5x5 bench, which makes the dumbell press and LTE more difficult than if I just did 5 heavy singles.

Progress on the assistance exercises has become confusing. Since recovery from intensity days is faster than volume days, should I use lower volume assistance (3x10) on high volume days for the main lifts, and high volume assistance (5x12) on high intensity days?

Thanks

That's perfectly reasonable approach.

I would do it that way, personally. I can't imagine doing 5x12 after a 5x5 volume day.

I also do the one lift per day and I've been struggling with assistance exercises too. How much do you guys drop your weight from your 3x5 or 5x5 when doing your 3x10 or 5x12? I really don't want to be taking (or needing) tons of minutes between sets like is sometimes necessary with the main lift. It seems counterproductive. And it also makes the gym-time balloon to a point I can't have.

I was trying to figure this out especially with presses and bench presses. Using push press for the press assistance and close grip for the bench assistance, I find myself out of sorts with weight/rest/sets/reps/time management.

bump*