starting strength gym

Thread: Assistance Videos

Default Assistance Videos

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    TL;DR

The videos are great!

The assistance videos posted to Andy's YouTube are great! The information contained in them is an excellent supplement to PPST3 for intermidiate/advanced programming, especially for those of us who have really committed ourself to the culture created by the initial Starting Strength Program.

Sometimes while reading the book(s), I got the feeling that assistance/supplemental movements were pretty much frowned upon. But what I think many of us entering our intermediate programming do is try to emulate the coaches we see through social media or other outlets. We often see them doing these assistance movements but don't understand the derivative of them.

We want to be big and strong, but after a novice progression and maybe a few TM runs we don't see ourselves looking as strong or moving as much weight as those SS coaches we may look up to.

I really appreciate these assistance videos for explaining the appropriate context on where to add the additional movements. If anyone has not seen them, take an hour and learn something new about how you can appropriately add these. It really helped me gain a better understanding and I can't wait to begin slowly adding some of this knowledge into my own program. Thanks again Andy!

Glad they helped. A lot of this stuff we (mistakenly) assume people already know or intuit, but I'm always surprised that the most BASIC information is usually the most well received.

Part 1: Assistance Exercises: Part 1 - YouTube

Part 2: Part 2: Programming Assistance Exercises - YouTube

I mean most of us do know the movements exist. Bro routines and buff dude programs many of us have done for years implement them. But we never really understand their purpose from a strength perspective. We do them for the pump and because that's what we were "supposed" to do.

When we re-wire our brain with the tenets of SSBBT and learn we have been doing it all wrong, we start to question everything we thought we knew.

So assuming we know isn't wrong, but if we are going to commit to the "checking of ego" from the NLP, we really have to start with a blank slate across the board and re-learn the why, when, and where barbell assistance movements fit in to our training and how they will help us in the long run.

Alot of people go through that cycle:

1: Age 15-22: Train mostly with barbells for sports in high school / college. Programming and technique either terrible or never even considered to exist.

2: Age 22 - 30: Follow bodybuilding magazine routines with no focus on building a strength base. Make some cosmetic changes, but never very big or strong. Realize at 30 you will not step onto the Olympia Stage.

3. Age 30-31: Crossfit. Get injured. Quit

4: Age 32 - 40: Find a basic barbell program (wish you had found this at 18 or 24). Develop a decent base of strength lifting correctly for first time ever. Kick yourself for wasting your best 15 years of potential.

5: Age 40: Decide to work on your physique. Embark on an intelligently designed bodybuilding protocol with strength focus. Realize testosterone levels have plummeted and none of this stuff works like it did when you were 22.

Great video andy pretty much the split setup i have been using for years, keeps things fresh and interesting with little tweaks that can be made easily here and there. I asked you a question in q and a section regarding sets/reps being the same in supplemental as in the main lift and this pretty much answered it. Would supplemental work track the same sets/reps as the main lift for example progressing linearly from 3x8 to 3x3?

Not always. It kinda depends on the program structure you use. I usually keep the supplemental work a little higher volume or at least rep range than the main lifts. But they'll basically "track" what I'm doing on the main lifts.

For instance on an 8-5-2 style program, let's look at the Squat Day. Generally Squats would be followed by a supplemental Deadlift variation. So the reps on that might track like this:

Week 1: Squat 3 x 8 / SLDL 3 x 8-10
    Week 2: Squat 3 x 5 / Paused Goodmornings 3 x 6-8
    Week 3: Squat 3 x 2 / Deficit Deadlift 3 x 3-5

Doesn't have to be those exact exercises, but you get the idea.

That example is similar to what i do except it is more linear in nature. Thanks for all the info you have put out there andy you have helped me alot in developing my own programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Alot of people go through that cycle:

1: Age 15-22: Train mostly with barbells for sports in high school / college. Programming and technique either terrible or never even considered to exist.

2: Age 22 - 30: Follow bodybuilding magazine routines with no focus on building a strength base. Make some cosmetic changes, but never very big or strong. Realize at 30 you will not step onto the Olympia Stage.

3. Age 30-31: Crossfit. Get injured. Quit

4: Age 32 - 40: Find a basic barbell program (wish you had found this at 18 or 24). Develop a decent base of strength lifting correctly for first time ever. Kick yourself for wasting your best 15 years of potential.

5: Age 40: Decide to work on your physique. Embark on an intelligently designed bodybuilding protocol with strength focus. Realize testosterone levels have plummeted and none of this stuff works like it did when you were 22.
    LOL! Genius!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Age 40: Decide to work on your physique. Embark on an intelligently designed bodybuilding protocol with strength focus. Realize testosterone levels have plummeted and none of this stuff works like it did when you were 22.
    Because they can no longer accommodate the volume a bodybuilding routine requires?

starting strength coach development program
    Well, mainly because nothing works like it did when you were 22. No matter the routine.

Lots of good BBers don't peak until their early / mid 40s, but most of those guys never got out of the game.