starting strength gym

Thread: Volume/Intensity rotation for Squat

Default Volume/Intensity rotation for Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Andy,

You gave the following guideline for rotating volume/intensity for press movements in HLM

5RM + 3x5@ 5-10% reduction

3RM + 3x3 @ 5-10% reduction

1RM + 2x2 @ 5-10% reduction
    In addition, to the above, I found it to be helpful to add one set of 10 reps at the end, as a finisher (based on your press article recommendation). Thanks to your advice, my press movements are back on track again.

Would similar rotation work for squats too? Do, squats respond similar to the last set of 10 reps on the heavy squat day?

They might. Start conservatively with maybe 8 reps at first and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    They might. Start conservatively with maybe 8 reps at first and see what happens
    Here's a theoretical question. I read in PP that presses work better with sets of 3s and squats 5s. How do they differ in terms of overall volume/intensity programming on a HLM heavy day?

What is the context where it says Presses are "better for 3s"?? I don't remember writing that as a blanket / general statement. If I did it needs to be revised/updated. There has to be a context to that statement.

What is the context where it says Presses are "better for 3s"?? I don't remember writing that as a blanket / general statement. If I did it needs to be revised/updated. There has to be a context to that statement.
    I'm racking my brain to remember where in the books I read it. It was along the lines of "5s work better with squats and deadlifts, and 3s for upper body lifts". It was a general context. You can find similar statement here but I'm not using it as a reference to support what I said. Hopefully, other posters remember it better and help me out.

I found it. It was in the context of advanced novice programming.
    In fact, it has been observed that the back-off method works better with squats, and the 3x3 method works better with bench presses and presses.
    Please ignore my previous reply.

I think he's talking about where it says that typically switching presses to 3's and using the back off sets of 5 for squats usually works best for the advanced novice. Not that 3's are better for presses in general. Recently read the book and that's the only place I can think of it.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, context is everything here. This is just a short-term programming trick to milk a few more pounds of LP out of the bar when the standard 3x5 runs it's course. It's meant to be used for a few weeks at most and then volume will need to be raised again when you start Intermediate programming.