starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 day or not?

Default 4 day or not?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After about a month into my LP I switched from 48 - 72 hours between sessions as I wasn't recovering enough (poor sleep). LP is about done. When I switch to an intermediate program which, considering my need for 72 hours off during LP, do you think I would benefit most from?

4 day split or HLM with 72 hours rest? Or something else?

Training time is not an issue.

I know I could just pick one and see how it goes but figured I'd ask.

53 yo, male. Need more info, happy to oblige.

Start with the 4-day split routine with a Heavy Day and a Lighter Day for each lift. i.e. Heavy Bench / Light Press, Heavy Squat / Light Deads, Heavy Press / Light Bench, Heavy DL / Light Squat

Thanks Andy.

Although Andy already replied and a h/l split is always a Safe option for masters, I really enjoyed His modified hlm Version for older guys or those who have mentally hard time with increasing weight Heavy-Light-Medium | Andy Baker the example for client Nr. 2 . I liked it to feel the weight on friday you will use next monday for a pr 3x5. Though i did it for 1x5 on friday Not 2x3 for more confidence. I had a good 5-6 weeks in this. You can always switch to heavy light split later after full Body becomes taxing or sessions too long. Aah I only did this program for squats, for Push I did heavy bench, medium Close grip and light military for 4x5 (on top Set three backoff at 95%) . Just wanted to point that beatitul simple program out

Thanks. My issue hasn't been a mental one to date. My knees and shoulders just like the extra rest having had surgery on both shoulders and one knee. I have seen this program and it does interest me. Basically I just need to pick something and run with it.

I should clarify re: recovery I get poor sleep (as mentioned) but the symptom is achy knees and shoulders more so than anything. Not sure if sleep is the culprit but the two days off lets me go back without and joint pain.

When joint pain is a problem (assuming form and technique are sound) then lower frequency tends to be better. Most joint issues are simply inflammatory in nature and a little extra rest plus some targeted use of simple NSAIDs generally keeps inflammation at bay enough so you can train and progress

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    When joint pain is a problem (assuming form and technique are sound) then lower frequency tends to be better. Most joint issues are simply inflammatory in nature and a little extra rest plus some targeted use of simple NSAIDs generally keeps inflammation at bay enough so you can train and progress
    That's what has worked for me to date. Extra rest and NSAIDs.

As for form and technique... I could probably use a couple sessions with a coach. Adam is closest but he's still like 2 hours away. I do record and critique my form. Nothing egregious but I am sure there are tweaks to be made.

The shoulder ache, though, is probably not going away. 5 cm full tear on the left, partial on right, biceps tenodisis on both all in the last 4 years.

Doc said I could do cortisone shots once or twice a year to no ill effect. Considering it.

The knees are a bit better. I think that's due to getting more proficient at SSB squats (two weeks of box squats helped with that - thank you) and the left knee healing (surgery mid-June).

As an aside... since I don't and likely will never have the ROM to LB squat (hence the SSB) I have been looking at alternatives. The two solutions I have seen are the hooks (Hookers?) and the Fortis LB SSB. Any experience with or opinions on either?

Seen the hook contraptions, never used them. I'd say either SSB or Cambered Bar Squat to a Box. If you've got issues with the knees there is no reason to just not box squat as your primary squatting exercise.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    If you've got issues with the knees there is no reason to just not box squat as your primary squatting exercise.
    I'm old and stubborn.

If the knees get worse that's what I will do.

Maybe.

Thanks Andy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast