starting strength gym

Thread: intermediate transition: is partial OK, or is it all or nothing?

Question intermediate transition: is partial OK, or is it all or nothing?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was looking for the answer to a question in "the book" and in other sources, but could not find it. I have stalled on the presses for several workouts, but my squat and deadlift are still increasing at a decent rate. This is especially true of my squat. I assume that the problem with my presses is probably not diet and rest, since my squat and deadlift are still increasing. So, my question is: Do I keep resetting the presses until the squats and deadlifts start to stall? Or is it appropriate to transition just the presses to an intermediate approach?

My current status:
    Age 52
    press: 173 was adding 1lb every other workout, but repeatedly stalled
    bench: 247 was adding 1lb every other workout, but repeatedly stalled
    squat: 368 adding 2.2lbs every workout (6.6/week), not feeling more difficult from workout to workout
    deadlift: 379 adding 4.4lbs every fourth workout
    Last edited by brian_havens; 09-09-2017 at 01:06 AM.

It is appropriate, encouraged, and almost necessary to shift to intermediate programming on the bench and press prior to the squat. So you can be a novice on the squat and an intermediate on the pressing movements. Also not bad numbers at all, especially for a 52 year old!

Quote Originally Posted by brian_havens View Post
    I was looking for the answer to a question in "the book" and in other sources, but could not find it.
    I don't remember how this is addressed in SSBBT but if you are reading Practical Programming this is definitely in "the book". If you don't have PPST yet and you are approaching intermediate training, you should really do your self the favor of hitting up amazon for some 2 day shipping.

Short answer: Yes, you can have different programming advancement for different lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    I don't remember how this is addressed in SSBBT but if you are reading Practical Programming this is definitely in "the book". If you don't have PPST yet and you are approaching intermediate training, you should really do your self the favor of hitting up amazon for some 2 day shipping.

Short answer: Yes, you can have different programming advancement for different lifts.
    Thanks!

Because of my age, I bought "The Barbell Prescription" instead of PPST. (I can tolerate t M-W-F linear progression, but I do not think I could tolerate full Texas method at my age. LOL) I'll take another look to see of the same info is there. Perhaps I will pick up PPST too, if just for the information itself. Besides, I plan to adopt SS and beyond as the standard strength training for my wresters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    It is appropriate, encouraged, and almost necessary to shift to intermediate programming on the bench and press prior to the squat. So you can be a novice on the squat and an intermediate on the pressing movements. Also not bad numbers at all, especially for a 52 year old!
    Thanks for the reply. I have to say that I never dreamed of having such numbers, especially at my age, but as Uncle Rip says: "The program works".