starting strength gym

Thread: I'm out of SSLP (but only for Squats)

Question I'm out of SSLP (but only for Squats)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I think I've exhausted SSLP for Squats.
    I've been running SS since March.
    My workouts look like this:

A: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    B: Squat, Press, Power Clean

Stats: Male; 24 yo; 176 cm (5' 9''); 72 kg (159 lbs)
    Working weights:

Squat: 126 kg (278 lbs)
    Deadlift: 120 kg (264 lbs)
    Bench: 63 kg (139 lbs)
    Press: 42 kg (92 lbs)
    Power Clean: 58 kg (128 lbs)

I've stalled on the Squat, deloaded 10% and started again (done it twice). Now I'm at a point where I can add 2 kg (about 5 lbs) only for the first set and I have to take off 10% for the other two sets ("late beginner" suggestions found on Practical Programming).
    I've been doing this for a week and it's very exhausting: I have hardly any juice for my other lifts. So I was thinking of switching to the Texas Method however:

• My lifts are very low
    • I still haven't had to switch to deadlifting every other week (so I've never done Chins and Back ext.)
    • I feel like I should have a bit more LP in me for the Bench and the Press
    • Squatting takes forever and I'm afraid volume days will be very long

So I took the 4 days Texas Method template from Barbell Medicine and edited it as follows:

Monday (Pressing VD)
    Bench: 3 x 5 (add 1 kg/2 lbs each time)
    Press: 5 x 8
    Chins: 3 sets to failure

Tuesday (Squat VD)
    Squat: 5 x 5 (85% of ID weight)
    Clean: 5 x 3 (try to add 1 kg/2 lbs each time)
    Back ext. 3 x 10

Thursday (Pressing ID)
    Bench 3 x 5 (add 1 kg/2 lbs each time)
    Press 3 x 3 (add 1 kg/ 2 lbs each time)
    Pendlay Row 3 x 5
    Pushups (should I?)

Friday (Squat ID)
    Squat 1 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5
    Ab work about 7' of ab variations (6 pack promise app by Athlean-X)
    Cardio 25'

Is this a dumb idea? The intention is to keep a multi-week LP on the pressing movements for as long as possible while moving the Squat to a weekly progression.
    Pushups are there because I can't do many of them and I hope they might improve my bench/press.
    Press is 3 x 3 because I found it this way on the template and I think it might make sense, since I'll be benching too.
    Ab work is there because my "core" is the first thing that fails when squatting.
    Cardio is there because I get a bit winded when doing 4 flights of stairs to work.

I'd love to run something like The Bridge but I'm afraid I won't do any progress because everything will fill like a RPE 9.

One last thing: should I use the belt for volume days?
    Last edited by Eisen; 09-10-2017 at 05:51 AM. Reason: More stats.

You're 5'9 159lbs. This is your problem. Your leverages suck. Have you added a light day for squats in the middle of the week yet? Try that first bud.

Also, be sure to send some videos to the technique forum or SSq&a to make sure everything is OK. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    You're 5'9 159lbs. This is your problem. Your leverages suck. Have you added a light day for squats in the middle of the week yet? Try that first bud.

Also, be sure to send some videos to the technique forum or SSq&a to make sure everything is OK. Good luck!
    Thank you for the encouraging words.
    I'll add the light day; should I keep the current scheme for the other days?
    How light does it have to be? The book says something like 60-80% of a regular day but that seems very broad.
    Also, should I squat beltless on a light day?

I'll film my next session: it's going to be a heavy day. Should I repeat my last session or try to add 5lbs? 2.5 lbs?

Sorry for the amount of questions but at the beginning it was extremely simple and now that I have so many possible templates it's a bit overwhelming to decide what's best.

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    Thank you for the encouraging words.
    I'll add the light day; should I keep the current scheme for the other days?
    How light does it have to be? The book says something like 60-80% of a regular day but that seems very broad.
    Also, should I squat beltless on a light day?

I'll film my next session: it's going to be a heavy day. Should I repeat my last session or try to add 5lbs? 2.5 lbs?

Sorry for the amount of questions but at the beginning it was extremely simple and now that I have so many possible templates it's a bit overwhelming to decide what's best.
    Good questions!
    1) light day is 80% of Monday's workout for 2 sets of 5. You don't have to do these beltless. But you can if you want to. Doesn't matter. I use a belt for mine
    2) if your other lifts are still progressing fine then no need to go to other programming. Keep LPing your lifts.
    3) Be sure to read the article about the first three questions.
    4) repeat your weight again and send a form check
    5) if you can, go see a coach

Even the 4 day Texas Method would incinerate you at your current body weight. For frame of reference: I am 23 years old, 5'10" (an inch taller) and weight 210 pounds. That is 50 pounds heavier than you currently are crammed into one inch extra height so. . . yeah. Fix that first. I would add in the 80% of work weight day in the middle since once you are in the upper 200s squats do get a bit taxing. But seriously you are not done with your LP on the squat. You're clearly not eating enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    Hello,

I think I've exhausted SSLP for Squats.
    I've been running SS since March.
    My workouts look like this:

A: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    B: Squat, Press, Power Clean

Stats: Male; 24 yo; 176 cm (5' 9''); 72 kg (159 lbs)
    Working weights:

Squat: 126 kg (278 lbs)
    Deadlift: 120 kg (264 lbs)
    Bench: 63 kg (139 lbs)
    Press: 42 kg (92 lbs)
    Power Clean: 58 kg (128 lbs)

I've stalled on the Squat, deloaded 10% and started again (done it twice). Now I'm at a point where I can add 2 kg (about 5 lbs) only for the first set and I have to take off 10% for the other two sets ("late beginner" suggestions found on Practical Programming).
    I've been doing this for a week and it's very exhausting: I have hardly any juice for my other lifts. So I was thinking of switching to the Texas Method however:

• My lifts are very low
    • I still haven't had to switch to deadlifting every other week (so I've never done Chins and Back ext.)
    • I feel like I should have a bit more LP in me for the Bench and the Press
    • Squatting takes forever and I'm afraid volume days will be very long

So I took the 4 days Texas Method template from Barbell Medicine and edited it as follows:

Monday (Pressing VD)
    Bench: 3 x 5 (add 1 kg/2 lbs each time)
    Press: 5 x 8
    Chins: 3 sets to failure

Tuesday (Squat VD)
    Squat: 5 x 5 (85% of ID weight)
    Clean: 5 x 3 (try to add 1 kg/2 lbs each time)
    Back ext. 3 x 10

Thursday (Pressing ID)
    Bench 3 x 5 (add 1 kg/2 lbs each time)
    Press 3 x 3 (add 1 kg/ 2 lbs each time)
    Pendlay Row 3 x 5
    Pushups (should I?)

Friday (Squat ID)
    Squat 1 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5
    Ab work about 7' of ab variations (6 pack promise app by Athlean-X)
    Cardio 25'

Is this a dumb idea? The intention is to keep a multi-week LP on the pressing movements for as long as possible while moving the Squat to a weekly progression.
    Pushups are there because I can't do many of them and I hope they might improve my bench/press.
    Press is 3 x 3 because I found it this way on the template and I think it might make sense, since I'll be benching too.
    Ab work is there because my "core" is the first thing that fails when squatting.
    Cardio is there because I get a bit winded when doing 4 flights of stairs to work.

I'd love to run something like The Bridge but I'm afraid I won't do any progress because everything will fill like a RPE 9.

One last thing: should I use the belt for volume days?

How much are you eating? Carbs/Protein/Fat?