starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between two heavy days structures

Default Differences between two heavy days structures

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out an intermediate template for me when my LP squats are done.

I'd like to ask what are the differences, which u have used, what is more efficient... between these two methods for a Heavy day SQUAT

Option 1) 5x5 Squats
    it starts 5x5, then 5x3 to accommodate heavier weights when 5x5 isn't possible anymore, then eventually 5 singles. And then reset to 5lbs higher than the last succesful 5x5

Option 2) Also 5x5 squats
    A top set 1-5RM followed by 4 back offsets at a certain %

-The volume decreases in option 1 as the weigth gets heavier whilst in option 2 it is more constant.
    -Option 2 has high intensity and high volume every single heavy workout

That's all that i know. Is there any other thing that i have to take into account to choose between these two methods?

I'd do a Heavy/Light squat

Heavy: one of those options
    Light: 3x5 at 80-90% beltless or not, idk

Thanks in avance

Option 1 is a terrible idea.

Option 2 is not as bad.

Recommend looking at Andy Baker's articles on HLM. Alternatively, check out The Bridge by Feigenbaum and Baraki.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Option 1 is a terrible idea.

Option 2 is not as bad.

Recommend looking at Andy Baker's articles on HLM. Alternatively, check out The Bridge by Feigenbaum and Baraki.
    Would you care to elaborate why option 1 sucks and why 2 is not as bad? even if in a simple sentence?

i already have checked both (if u are talking about the 3 part HLM article about squat,pulling, and presses). The option 2 is Andy's recommendation for a heavy day in HLM routine, i suppose that would work too for a H/L squats.

The brigde is a periodized program, it looks good, but i just wan't increase the weigth every week while i can and a program for long term progress, before switching to a periodized one (like the brigde or GGW which I also have). In the brigde after running this program they recommend a coach or another program

The thing is
    1) I really wan't to train 4x week to give a break of 3 day full bodies and also to have faster workouts

Or i can do TM 4x a week, what u think?
    Last edited by tavccp; 09-10-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar sucks

I think 1 is bad because you're dropping volume a lot and you can do singles across for a long time. So it's not like you're doing a 1 week peak with low volume at the end of a cycle.

I think both rely too much on an intensity stimulus when what you need as an intermediate is more volume to grow some more muscle. You don't need to perform a max effort regularly to make progress.

I'd suggest a HLM program or a 4 day Texas method, depending on how old you are. You might not need a 5x5 if going straight from LP. You could look to doing a 3 sets of 5 M/F with a light squat day on W. Like 80% of Monday's work weight. Run that out and then switch.

I would agree with manveer that option one is a bad idea. ive been there myself and rotated through triples and singles then by the time i got back to fives i wasnt much stronger and hadnt made much progress. i think as a novice on LP its fun to PR every session but as an intermediate you need to change mentality and think more for the long term. in other words, emphasize DEVELOPMENT (volume) over TESTING (intensity). An HLM would be my reccomendation

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    I would agree with manveer that option one is a bad idea. ive been there myself and rotated through triples and singles then by the time i got back to fives i wasnt much stronger and hadnt made much progress. i think as a novice on LP its fun to PR every session but as an intermediate you need to change mentality and think more for the long term. in other words, emphasize DEVELOPMENT (volume) over TESTING (intensity). An HLM would be my reccomendation
    Thanks cole. Are u progressing the weigth in the main lifts each week as an intermediate or are you doing a periodization?

You guys are suggesting HLM. These 2 options of heavy day are in PPST and in Andy's videos. I don't know other options.
    So just stay at 5x5? and then what?

Actually i know others possibilities for HLM

1) 3x5 Heavy, 3x5 light, 2x3 or 3x2 medium - HLM for older lifter article from andy - it worked for about 3 weeks, when i got very sick and had to abbandon 3x/week texas method
    2) The basic 3x5 heavy, 3x5 (80-90%) light, 3x5 (90-95%)

I'm doing this right now:

M
    Vol bench 5x5 + 1backoff 1x8-12
    Light press 3x5
    LTE 2x10

Tu
    LP Squats 3x5
    Upper back stuff

W - rest

Th
    Bench 1x5 now and for a long time (then 2x3, 3x2, 5x1)
    Press 5x5

F
    LP squats 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 then back off 1x5 (85% of first set weigth)

When i finish LP squats i'll change to TM

Tu 4x5 (85% of 5RM) - i really want to be conservative here (any input here)
    Fr 1x5 (then 2x3, 3x2, 5x1)

why are you doing back off sets on the bench and deadlift?

What are your numbers? How old are you? How much do you weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    why are you doing back off sets on the bench and deadlift?

What are your numbers? How old are you? How much do you weigh?
    Because when I do only 5x5 for volume I fail the 5RM and end up doing a 4RM instead (the 5x5 bench is already at 91-92% of the last week 5RM). It seems that I need more volume to hit the 5RM

For deadlift, it is the second time i add a back-off set and when I do this i progress consistently in the first set.

My squat is 315 for five, doing LP: 1x5 then 2 back offs at 95%. When i did LP the first time my i did 376lbs for 5 in the top set, then the next week I had the worst workout of my life and hit 382lbs for 1. I changed squat to TM but was not able to do more than 2 reps ate 382 then i regressed and changed to HLM. Finally a lot of shit happened in my life and I not trained for 2 weeks and restarted.

24 yo, male; 6.1 feet, 205lbs

My squat is 315 for five,
    Deadlift five reps at 350lbs
    Bench five reps at 234lbs
    Press five reps at 130lbds

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tavccp View Post
    Because when I do only 5x5 for volume I fail the 5RM and end up doing a 4RM instead (the 5x5 bench is already at 91-92% of the last week 5RM). It seems that I need more volume to hit the 5RM
    Back that down to around 85-87% and you'll be able to get the volume in without destroying yourself. Also look into the several threads in this forum about how TM is suboptimal for most people without some sort of customization.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast