starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going from 10lb to 5lb DL jumps

Default Going from 10lb to 5lb DL jumps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 203lb and my last deadlift was 335x5 (If it matters, Squat is 280-290, but working on form issues). At the current time I am deadlifting once a week and I have been making 10LB jumps successfully. I wasn't sure I could still do my last 2 workouts with 10lb jump, but lo and behold I did. So I don't want to leave progress on the table for no reason.

Whats a good way to know when it's time to go down to 5lb jumps? When I actually miss the last rep?

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Whats a good way to know when it's time to go down to 5lb jumps? When I actually miss the last rep?
    Yes. Though it may be worth the effort to make sure you're filming your sets and checking your log to make sure there's no extraneous issues (like lack of sleep, form drift, etc.) that could be causing this. Some people have good success doing a modest reset down a few pounds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Yes. Though it may be worth the effort to make sure you're filming your sets and checking your log to make sure there's no extraneous issues (like lack of sleep, form drift, etc.) that could be causing this. Some people have good success doing a modest reset down a few pounds as well.
    Thanks for the advice. Weight gain has been slow but steady (I'm already over 25% so I don't need massive weight gain). I think the pull mechanics are good, but lower back extension isn't great. It's been like that since day one as I have gotten more and more flexible it has gotten better and better.

I will keep pushing forward at 10LB then till I miss. After I miss I assume I can just try the same weight next time, like we would the other lifts?

Your next workout should be a 5lb increase when you think "next work, I will not be able to do a 10lb increase."
    This is ideal and usually happens with a coach.

However, if you are doing 10lb increases and do a set of four and truly fail your fifth rep (not just don't attempt), that's definitely a time to switch.

Don't forget the possibility that you can switch to 7.5lb increases for 2+ workouts as well.

After I miss I assume I can just try the same weight next time, like we would the other lifts?
    It depends how bad the miss is, but let's say that you do a set of four, try for a fifth, and you fail. Do NOT do the same weight next time. Add 5lbs (or 7.5lbs) next workout. The weight on the bar must go up.
    This is why it's better to anticipate when you'll miss the NEXT workout.

Well its 2 weeks later and I'm back to deciding what I should do for todays DL workout. Last week I did 355x5 and it doesn't feel like I could add 10 more LB but I've felt that way since 315 so my feelings are a LIE! Anyways, I wanted to see what you guys think about possibly changing my warmup.

Currently I do:
    RL:Romanian Deadlift
    DL: Deadlift

RL: 45x8
    RL: 135x5
    DL: 135x5
    DL: 195x3
    RL: 195x3
    DL: 285x1
    WAIT 5 minutes
    DL:255x5

The reason for the Romanian Deadlifts is I am very inflexible (and doesn't help that arms are shorter than avg) and RL's have been helping me limber up enough to be able to set my back straight while reaching down (For example, I can't reach the bar with a set back otherwise). But I'm thinking this is alot of warmup volume and getting rid of some of it might help me continue the 10lb jumps for a little longer. So maybe keep the RL but take the 135 and 195 deadlifts down to 2 reps each? Any opinion on this?

Well its 2 weeks later and I'm back to deciding what I should do for todays DL workout. Last week I did 355x5 and it doesn't feel like I could add 10 more LB but I've felt that way since 315 so my feelings are a LIE! Anyways, I wanted to see what you guys think about possibly changing my warmup.

Currently I do:
    RL:Romanian Deadlift
    DL: Deadlift

RL: 45x8
    RL: 135x5
    DL: 135x5
    DL: 195x3
    RL: 195x3
    DL: 285x1
    WAIT 5 minutes
    DL:255x5

The reason for the Romanian Deadlifts is I am very inflexible (and doesn't help that arms are shorter than avg) and RL's have been helping me limber up enough to be able to set my back straight while reaching down (For example, I can't reach the bar with a set back otherwise). But I'm thinking this is alot of warmup volume and getting rid of some of it might help me continue the 10lb jumps for a little longer. So maybe keep the RL but take the 135 and 195 deadlifts down to 2 reps each? Any opinion on this?
    Thats last 255x5 was supposed to be a 355x5

Give it a try. By the time a novice gets to deadlifts, they should be plenty "warm" so the warm ups are more for getting the motor patterns right as opposed to all the warm ups before squats.

Also, make sure you aren't being too slow on setting down the deadlifts. It's possible that you're making them more eccentric than they should be out of habit what with the Romanian's you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Give it a try. By the time a novice gets to deadlifts, they should be plenty "warm" so the warm ups are more for getting the motor patterns right as opposed to all the warm ups before squats.

Also, make sure you aren't being too slow on setting down the deadlifts. It's possible that you're making them more eccentric than they should be out of habit what with the Romanian's you're doing.
    Thanks.

That is one problem I do not tihnk I am having. I think I drop the weight reasonably fast. Here is my 355 set.

The main issue I've been battling since day 1 is my back extension because of my flexibility and that I am naturally more kyphotic (My backs "hyper extension" with no load is barely past what someone would call a straight back). Anyways, it has been getting better and better as flexibility has gone up. Back still feels GREAT after doing the lifts, so it hasn't negatively effected me in any way.

starting strength coach development program
    You should ask for a form review from one of the coaches. Personally, I notice that my back tends to flex when I'm not initiating the pull with my legs pushing the floor. Helps to focus on your knee extension to begin the lift, instead of trying to pull solely with your back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast